I really thought this was an interesting story...indicative of increasing state control over personal liberties, public/officer safety, and common sense.

I was really struck by the interview with the "city official". The reporter had stated that owning many of his snakes was illegal inside city limits. But the "city official", rather than simply stating "he violated the law", deferred to the "public safety if there is an emergency" schtick.

Clearly, the problem is not that he is in possession of "illegal snakes", he wasn't cited for that, but for having to many, and "livability issues".

It really feels like rather than enforcing existing law, officials are taking an approach that sets precedence for control of how people live in their homes under the guise of the "public safety if there is an emergency" schtick.

I'm also curious about the "search"...can't find out if they showed up with a warrant...or just knocked and announced that a complaint had been filed...and they were there to search under some "health law". Did he have a choice? Wish I knew.

COON RAPIDS, Minn. (WCCO) – A man’s love of snakes and reptiles has led to trouble with the City of Coon Rapids.

Last October, a neighbor complained. The city then searched Nellis’ home and questioned its livability.

“It could pose a risk for public safety if there is an emergency,” Hiljus said.
The city wanted Nellis to have fewer animals, and he said he could do that. But having a lot of snakes is sometimes part of his business.
Complete story w/video:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/0...es/?hpt=us_bn6