Pres. Obama asked about Trayvon Martin: calls it a "tragedy"; "when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids."

More POTUS: "every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative to investigate every aspect of this"

VIDEO: President Obama weighs in on the Trayvon Martin case -

@NBCNews

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) on Trayvon Martin case: 'It is an incredible tragedy of huge proportions, and I'm glad that it's being investigated and we'll take a look at it as the investigation moves along.' - @NBCNews

Obama: 'If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon'

President Obama weighed in Friday on the shooting of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin, calling it a national tragedy - and saying that the young man reminded him of his own children.

"When I think about this boy, I think about my own kids," Obama said in Rose Garden remarks. "I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this. And that everybody pull together."

Obama has come under fire from some black leaders for failing to comment on a case that has become a major national story and brought thousands of Americans into the streets for demonstrations calling for the arrest of Martin's shooter. One black leader even wondered why Obama called a Georgetown student who was attacked by Rush Limbaugh, but not Martin's family. Obama's comments Friday represent the first time the president has addressed the growing controversy.

"My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," Obama said. "All of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves."

"Obviously this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through," Obama said. "All of us have to do some soul searching to figure out how something like this has happened."

More at:

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...on-118439.html