Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tungsten-filled gold bar found in UK

Default Tungsten-filled gold bar found in UK

Remember all those rumors from a year or two ago about gold bars that were actually gold-plated tungsten? A one-kilo gold bar sparked a dealer's suspicions in Britain recently because it was two grams short. He had it clipped, and found that was filled with tungsten rods.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/tungst...d-bar-found-uk

This is going to fill the (physical) gold market with dread.

ETA: I'm going to qualify this by saying "ZeroHedge is reporting..." ZH has had some questionable posts in the recent past, so I'll treat this a little more cautiously than I would have in the past.
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!

ETA: I'm going to qualify this by saying "ZeroHedge is reporting..." ZH has had some questionable posts in the recent past, so I'll treat this a little more cautiously than I would have in the past.
    And that right there sums up the biggest letdown of the year.
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

It might be ZH reporting about it, but the story didn't originate there, it did originate with ABC Bullion as ZH says: http://ausbullion.blogspot.com/2012/...gold-bars.html

Company's main website: http://www.abcbullion.com.au/index.php/

I can't vouch for how trustworthy ABC Bullion itself is. Though it is unusual to see RT and Alex Jones videos on a large gold operation website. Up to you if that makes them more and less trustworthy
    Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

The article says the gold bar was drilled and filled with tungsten.

The melt temp of gold is around 2000 degrees and the melt temp of tungsten is about 6400 degrees.

The tungsten bars would have to have the gold poured around them.

Does tungsten commonly come in the form of round bars?

I buy tungsten as 1/8"x about 6" rods for TIG welding.

They aren't cheap.........but I didn't know they were worth their weight in gold.
    .........against all enemies, foreign and domestic

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Audit Fort Knox. The gold is gone.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
    I buy tungsten as 1/8"x about 6" rods for TIG welding.

They aren't cheap.........but I didn't know they were worth their weight in gold.
    They could well be if cut into small sections and properly encased in lead...
    "They who have put out the people's eyes reproach them of their blindness."
    John Milton, 1642

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post

The melt temp of gold is around 2000 degrees and the melt temp of tungsten is about 6400 degrees.

Yes, this is what the weights in AR 15 buffers are made from. It is nearly twice as heavy as lead.
    Firearms Manufacturer, Tacticalmachining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Silverback View Post

Melt point of Au is 1947F, the melt point of W is 6170F. So yes..... the gold would have to be poured around the tungsten. The hard part of the operation would be getting the dimensions correct. The specific density of W is 19.25g/cm3, for gold it's 19.3g/cm3.
    This means that a properly dimensioned gold bar filled with tungsten would weigh just a tiny tiny amount less than a pure gold bar. A difference of less than half a percent. If one is unaware of the correct dimensions and weight for a manufacturers product it would be very easy to miss a counterfeit bar.

I suspect there are a whole lot more of these fakes polluting the market.....most probably compliments of our friends, the Chinese.
    I'd suspect that modern technology could discern these fakes if the right type of equipment was used to test for say.....conductivity.
    Au and W will conduct current at a different rate, a fake would measure condictivity that wasn't the same as a genuine bar.
    Other measures would work, the trick is making the process simple enough to be available outside of a high end lab.
    Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect there are a whole lot more of these fakes polluting the market.....most probably compliments of our friends, the Chinese.
    Bill&Hil must of did some consulting work then.
    I ain't askin' nobody for nothin' if I can't get it on my own
    you don't like the way I'm livin
    you just leave this long-haired country boy alone-CD

An LCP is my CC (constant companion)