Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basement Fallout Shelter

hi BFC,

i havent thought of air exchange. our basement is pretty big, but if one makes a small protected enclosure inside the basement i reckon an air exchange system would be helpful, id like to hear what you work out.

we have the 3 windows above the ground level and a door that is at ground level with a walk way leading outside, im thinking the walkway can be tarped to protect the entryway from fallout dust. the windows will need to be sandbagged or something adn the door needs to be covered and maybe move the freezer in front of it for some shielding.

in the center of our basement are 3 small rooms, laundry, small hallway and furnace room, so im thinking of that as a temp location for best protection aided with some extra protection built up or stacked around for further shielding. overhead is still the weak point im thinking.

shielding....shielding.....shielding

*sigh*

if i could convince dh, id start filling sandbags and stack them outside on the half of the walls exposed above ground (its all under a big porch anyway), then berm with some earth and even lay some sod over it so the sandbags wont be exposed. but im not getting far in him letting me do it. but id sure hate to have to do it at the last minute, i dont like leaving too much to be done at the last minute for anything.

like alot of other folks, we dont have funds to make the place a real fallout shelter, we gotta use what we got--- in the time allowed after some nuke goes off.
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    hi BFC,

i havent thought of air exchange. our basement is pretty big, but if one makes a small protected enclosure inside the basement i reckon an air exchange system would be helpful, id like to hear what you work out.

we have the 3 windows above the ground level and a door that is at ground level with a walk way leading outside, im thinking the walkway can be tarped to protect the entryway from fallout dust. the windows will need to be sandbagged or something adn the door needs to be covered and maybe move the freezer in front of it for some shielding.

in the center of our basement are 3 small rooms, laundry, small hallway and furnace room, so im thinking of that as a temp location for best protection aided with some extra protection built up or stacked around for further shielding. overhead is still the weak point im thinking.

shielding....shielding.....shielding

*sigh*

if i could convince dh, id start filling sandbags and stack them outside on the half of the walls exposed above ground (its all under a big porch anyway), then berm with some earth and even lay some sod over it so the sandbags wont be exposed. but im not getting far in him letting me do it. but id sure hate to have to do it at the last minute, i dont like leaving too much to be done at the last minute for anything.

like alot of other folks, we dont have funds to make the place a real fallout shelter, we gotta use what we got--- in the time allowed after some nuke goes off.
    We have a small step down patio on our exposed basement side, I'd love to pour concrete or dirt into it but my husband would freak.

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Frugals moved several years ago and when they moved they did not take the fiction with them so no more good stories there.
    A portion of the fiction section is archived here: http://web.archive.org/web/200701042...;start_point=0

Note that some of the pages lead to a login screen that (at least for me) is a dead end.

i seem to remember reading some stories a very long time ago over at frugals by a guy called tired old man...he made some kind of spread sheet on excel for determining safe level to exit shelter, moving back into house and living above ground, etc.
    Link to TOM's (Tired Old Man's) spreadsheet: http://www.jerrydyoung.com/st/index....iles-available

Most Excellent, Bigbear, thank you so much. jerry d young, tired old man, flea taxi, i used to love to read all their stuff years ago, i feel like you helped me find some old friends.

you are a sweetheart!
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

Most Excellent, Bigbear, thank you so much. jerry d young, tired old man, flea taxi, i used to love to read all their stuff years ago, i feel like you helped me find some old friends.

you are a sweetheart!
    You're welcome, glad I could be of help

Google house plans of the 1950s w/ bomb shelter. Both my grandpas built their houses in the early 50s, both have a bomb shelter built into the basement.
    Only my maternal grandpas would be liveable for an extended period of time, with a water supply , shower , toliet, fireplace , wood storage, & food storage area included.

Both have reenforced concrete ceilings , walls , & triple angled hallways to get into them.I dont know what the entry doors are made of.

Both grandfathers houses are side by side & when i was young I always thought putting a tunnel underground to connect the two would be cool . They didnt think so.
    ?

When you have windows, on a basement, think windowwells
    You can fill in around the window and still get light thru them
    If needed you can cover the windowwell with a pc of plywood
    and throw some dirt or sand bags on the plywood

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

You want to be careful using lead sheets, since the LAST thing you want is for the whole house to come up contaminated with lead, on an inspection for sale...
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/