Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inguinal hernia-self healing?

Default Inguinal hernia-self healing?

Has anyone dealt with an inguinal hernia that healed without surgery?

DH has a small one and is wearing a "hernia belt" with the "pad" on that side.

Searches on this are inconclusive....so would like to hear any anecdotal experience. He has no medical insurance.

TIA!
    Psalms 23:1,2 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.

Not hardly, gal. I have one myself. It is caused by a literal tear in the lower abdominal muscle layer and that will not repair itself, it needs to be stitched closed and sometimes a mesh patch needs to be stitched in to reinforce the defect. BUT, my doc says not to worry, one can go for years and years with no problems and actually the larger it is the less chance of it getting strictured and causing big problems. My doc said not to wear one of those supports as it will cause continual bruising of the tissues and muscle under that "pad" but that's just my doc.

Thx GL...good to know..

sigh... he will not give in...arghhhhhhhhh, tho he is not lifting as much in his daily job.

Blessings to you....
    Psalms 23:1,2 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.

ALL hernias need to be seen and evaluated by a surgeon.
    There are many complications that can develop. One that I see on a fairly
    regular basis is called an "incarcerated hernia" where a loop of bowel becomes
    caught in and sequestered by the hernia. If this happens the loop of bowel will
    often become necrotic and die... a fatal process if not fixed. Other complications
    such as obstruction can occur and can also be fatal. Prior to modern surgical skills
    hernias frequently ended up costing a life. Don't make light of hernias, they are
    serious conditions that can lead to life threatening problems.
    Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Not hardly, gal. I have one myself. It is caused by a literal tear in the lower abdominal muscle layer and that will not repair itself, it needs to be stitched closed and sometimes a mesh patch needs to be stitched in to reinforce the defect. BUT, my doc says not to worry, one can go for years and years with no problems and actually the larger it is the less chance of it getting strictured and causing big problems. My doc said not to wear one of those supports as it will cause continual bruising of the tissues and muscle under that "pad" but that's just my doc.

You are absolutely right goatlady. I have had six hernia surgeries. Do not wear any type of belt trying to keep it in. Make sure it can always move. I had one incarcerated hernia and believe me it is not fun. Not as bad as natural childbirth but close. Only they gave me 10mg morphine IV so it took the edge off. They had to run antibiotics for two bags and did surgery at 5AM when they thought they had enough in me. Damaged the intestional lining.

And...DO NOT let them put any Kugel patch in you at all. Even if they try to tell you it is not one of the recalled versions or new and improved. Dr. Kugel should be in jail. I have two the FDA wants back and I ain't doing the surgery again. They are holding fine but I have to have an x-ray yearly to make sure the spring hasn't slipped loose. They pulled one out of a ladies thigh from her belly!

If hubby's stomach gets bloated or rigid with pain don't think about think about the insurance get him to an ER right away.

Thank you TOL's...

We have an appt tomorrow (Fri) 9:30am....so we'll see what the Doc has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlady View Post
    Thank you TOL's...

We have an appt tomorrow (Fri) 9:30am....so we'll see what the Doc has to say.

Good luck. One other thing if they can fix it laproscopy do it. With my scar tissue only one doc would risk it but it wound up being my last surgery 4 years ago. The others kept opening me up and it got worse every time.

If you are in NY or Alaska I know two good docs.

I've been advised by my trusted doctor never to let them touch mine except with laproscopy, when and if. I lifted some jammed logs I shouldn't have about five - six years back getting in the wood in Fall, then was unloading and spreading 4" rock too fast into a mucked-up "road" I needed passable with a wheelbarrow with thunder and lightning coming in about dusk the same day, and tore one myself somehow. Must be getting old. I can't afford surgery or down-time, being a hill-billy dirt farmer and jack of all building trades for a living. Wear a good jock and keep trucking, work on stuffing it back in when it gets worse, do exercises to strengthen the abdominal wall, like snap crunches, positive and negative leg lifts. Sometimes it gets better for a while, then wham. I know they generally don't heal, but I have a Great Physician, and figure He will provide one way or the other. Better Half has come up with an herbal concoction purported to help these heal which she is going to get the funnel and the stick if I don't imbibe willingly, so I'll let you know how that works. God works in mysterious ways, and if He can use Baalam's Ass, and me, well, she is wAy up from there...

I have to disagree on the hernia belt, though. I hate the thing and agree it bruises, but there are times on the place for certain heavy tasks, and certainly times in my work, that I don't have the luxury of deciding not to exert full-tilt-boogy if something slips putting up a beam, or taking down a wall, or working a steep roof, or any number of other things, where that thing can save tearing a new one, or opening the old one, or quite literally save my sorry butt, by allowing me to exert fully absent further damage and the debilitating pain which might otherwise accompany some emergency reaction, and cause my strength to fail.

Tras
    "They who have put out the people's eyes reproach them of their blindness."
    John Milton, 1642

Ok, here you go. Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Juices, Teas and Tonics is the source. John Heinerman is a "medical anthropololgist".

The teas for muscle repair, specifically inguinal hernia, are Fenugreek, Marshmallow Root, and Slippery Elm. Interesting testimonial in the book. Sipping on Fenugreek, and wondering why the flying blue blazes I didn't try this sooner, except for the terminally stubborn part, the fact tea is for wussies, and it doesn't taste like dark beer. I'll let you know if it turns me into a Wookie or anything. Does someone know any reason I shouldn't brew all three together, and go into senior Spring training mode?

Tras
    "They who have put out the people's eyes reproach them of their blindness."
    John Milton, 1642

Most interesting, do keep us apprised please. I'm curious to know just how the herbal tea is going to "reduce" the hernia, as in tuck the protruding bowel segment back into place and keep it there while the herbs heal the defect in the muscle. Sure hope that muscle does not heal/close while that bowel segment is still protruding!!! Incarceration/stricture would be a terrible result of that process. No reason except maybe taste not to brew all 3 herbs together. I do know marshmallow is really good for healing lung tissue by itself as is fenugreek and also the slippery elm. Interesting use 3 lung healing herbs for a hernia.