Thread: 38 House Members Filtered Government Money to Relatives, etc.

Thumbs down 38 House Members Filtered Government Money to Relatives, etc.

38 House Members Filtered Government Money to Relatives and Their Employers
    Monday, March 26, 2012

Nearly 40 members of the House of Representatives earmarked $150 million to organizations affiliated with themselves and their family members from 2008 to 2010, according to a government watchdog organization.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) reported that although 24 of the earmarkers were Democrats and only 14 Republicans, the top five representatives who earmarked to organizations affiliated with them or their family members were all Republicans:

· Kay Granger (R-Texas) earmarked $28.3 million to her son’s project. J.D. Granger is the executive director of the Trinity River Vision Authority.
    · Jerry Lewis (R-California) who earmarked a combined $25.5 million to three relatives’ organizations.
    · Bill Young (R-Florida) earmarked a combined $16.6 million to two sons’ employers. In 2008 he herded $4.4 million to defense contractor SAIC’s facility in St. Petersburg, Florida, where son Patrick is a security administrator. Another $8.5 million went to the National Forensic Science Technology Center, where son Billy is a senior consultant.
    · John Mica (R-Florida) earmarked $13 million to his daughter’s client. Mica has five relatives who work as lobbyists, two brothers, a son and a nephew. His daughter, D’Anne, ran a public relations firm whose client, the Central Commuter Rail, received the $13 million.
    · Michael Simpson (R-Idaho) earmarked $12.5 million to his wife’s employer, the Idaho National Laboratory.

more at link http://www.allgov.com/Where_is_the_M...ployers_120326

To find out what your represenatives spent $ on, here is a PDF of Family Affair from the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington http://www.citizensforethics.org/pag...EW.pdf?nocdn=1

38 who were caught. I suspect the real number is much higher as these 38 are most likely the most egregious cases and not all relatives have the same last name or have their names directly linked to the earmarks.

The first person ABC went after with this story was Ron Paul...

That tells me they really fear him....

The only problem I would have is, if they were getting paid to do nothing...

Ron Paul hired family to work on his campaign...ABC tried to make it sound like this was illegal..

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolfinoregon View Post
    The first person ABC went after with this story was Ron Paul...

That tells me they really fear him....

The only problem I would have is, if they were getting paid to do nothing...

Ron Paul hired family to work on his campaign...ABC tried to make it sound like this was illegal..

Depending on the state he's campaigning in IT could well BE illegal! On the federal level nepatism may not be illegal but states like Iowa have laws against it, not that it's inforced.

States rights anyone??? Or only when it feels good???

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaGal View Post
    38 House Members Filtered Government Money to Relatives and Their Employers
    Monday, March 26, 2012

Nearly 40 members of the House of Representatives earmarked $150 million to organizations affiliated with themselves and their family members from 2008 to 2010, according to a government watchdog organization.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) reported that although 24 of the earmarkers were Democrats and only 14 Republicans, the top five representatives who earmarked to organizations affiliated with them or their family members were all Republicans:

· Kay Granger (R-Texas) earmarked $28.3 million to her son’s project. J.D. Granger is the executive director of the Trinity River Vision Authority.
    · Jerry Lewis (R-California) who earmarked a combined $25.5 million to three relatives’ organizations.
    · Bill Young (R-Florida) earmarked a combined $16.6 million to two sons’ employers. In 2008 he herded $4.4 million to defense contractor SAIC’s facility in St. Petersburg, Florida, where son Patrick is a security administrator. Another $8.5 million went to the National Forensic Science Technology Center, where son Billy is a senior consultant.
    · John Mica (R-Florida) earmarked $13 million to his daughter’s client. Mica has five relatives who work as lobbyists, two brothers, a son and a nephew. His daughter, D’Anne, ran a public relations firm whose client, the Central Commuter Rail, received the $13 million.
    · Michael Simpson (R-Idaho) earmarked $12.5 million to his wife’s employer, the Idaho National Laboratory.

more at link http://www.allgov.com/Where_is_the_M...ployers_120326

To find out what your represenatives spent $ on, here is a PDF of Family Affair from the Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington http://www.citizensforethics.org/pag...EW.pdf?nocdn=1
    I want every name on that list, GOP and Democrat, or it's just crap.

Default States Rights -- When it feels good?

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    "...nepotism...but states like Iowa have laws against it, not that it's inforced (sic).

States rights anyone??? Or only when it feels good???

K-
    Nice hit and run.

Know your Iowa code well?

Here's a refresher...http://www.state.ia.us/government/ie...paignfunds.htm

Part of this is pure BS the Idaho National Laboratory does the clean up of nuclear waste. They are the ones that have to deal with this deadly waste in a safe manor. Lots of people here in Idaho work there. This isn't Pork Barrel Politics, unless you would rather just have it left laying around loose. There are other business there that are important to National Defense and probably had nothing to do with their relatives working there.
    Some people are only alive because there are laws against killing them.