Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Middle East Regional Watch Thread - Week of 03/25 - 03/31

Exclamation

12:07 International envoy Kofi Annan expects President Bashar al-Assad to implement the Syria peace plan “now,” AFP reported Friday. doesn,t look like he is listening

11:38 US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrived in Riyadh Friday for talks with Saudi leaders as she kicked off a two-country tour aimed at raising pressure on the Syrian regime, the US embassy here said.

11:36 Syrian forces shelled the Edleb towns of Ferkya and Deir Sonbel, Al-Jazeera quoted activists as saying.

11:32 Syrian forces on Friday shelled rebel bastions in the central city of Homs and launched assaults in northwestern Edleb province, where they searched and burned homes, monitors said.

To read more: http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticl...#ixzz1qafHpVUx
    Revelation 14:7
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    "not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

Arrow Afghan policeman turns weapons on colleagues, nine dead

KABUL - An Afghan policeman killed nine colleagues in an attack in the eastern province of Paktika, the governor's office said on Friday, the latest in a string of rogue shootings that has also targeted foreign forces.

Two policemen have been detained after the attack on Thursday night in Yahya Khil district, while a third officer was missing. It was not clear if the assailant was among the pair detained, Mukhlis Afghan, the provincial governor's spokesman, said.

A series of attacks on NATO personnel by Afghan army and police have stoked fears that the security forces have turned against their western allies, or have been infiltrated by the Taliban insurgents.http://www.jpost.com/Headlines/Article.aspx?id=264112
    Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Exclamation

16:09
    Syrian rebels attack air force base outside of Damascus (DPA) hmmmm wonder if they are trying to get his planes

Exclamation

16:12 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Friday shows a protest against the regime in the town of Al-Jina near Aleppo. Protesters are chanting: “We either triumph or die as martyrs.”

16:11 Syrian forces on Friday shelled rebel bastions in the central city of Homs and launched assaults in northwestern Edleb province, where they searched and burned homes, monitors said.

16:10 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Friday shows an anti-regime protest in the town of Harasta near Damascus. Protesters are chanting: “[We want] freedom [for] Christians and Muslims,” and “We do not love you or fear you [President Bashar al-Assad].”

16:06
    A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Friday shows an anti-regime protest in the Damascus town of Baraza. Protesters are chanting for Syrian cities where protests are being regularly held.

16:00 A YouTube video purportedly filmed on Friday shows an anti-regime protest in the Aleppo town of Kobani. The protesters are demonstrating for the rights of Kurdish people; one of the banners reads: “The Syrian National Council does not represent us.”

15:42 Syria’s death toll has risen to 20 people killed by security forces, activists told Al-Arabiya.

To read more: http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticl...#ixzz1qbfdRRMP

Exclamation

18:07 The death toll on Syria reached 42 people, activists told Al-Jazeera.

17:31 The United States hit Syria's defense minister and two other senior military figures with sanctions Friday, ramping pressure on Bashar al-Assad's regime as UN efforts failed to halt bloody violence.

To read more: http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticl...#ixzz1qcFF4ANE

Arrow Israel provoked missile barrage to test Iran war defenses

Gareth Porter does some excellent reporting during his current trip to Israel, where he’s meeting Israeli military and intelligence figures concerning a possible Israeli attack on Iran. He focuses on the lack of Israeli psychological preparation or awareness of the danger they face from an Iranian counter-strike after Israel’s pre-emptive attack.

Neve Gordon reported in Al Jazeera English that Israel assassinated the leader of the Gaza PRC a few weeks ago in order to deliberately provoke a Gaza missile barrage. Bibi wanted to test the Iron Dome missile system in the expectation that its success would further reassure Israelis and his doubting cabinet members, who must vote to approve war, that Israel will remain protected from rockets in the event Iran is attacked. I have a Truthout story being publishing tomorrow that will cover more of this ground.http://www.headlineclicker.com/2012/...e-to-test.html

Exclamation

RT @IDFSpokesperson: Breaking: 2 rockets fired from #Gaza hit Eshkol Regional Council #ShabbatShalom #israel #tcot #teaparty

RT @BreakingNews: AP source: US President Obama determines global oil supply sufficient to proceed with Iranian oil sanctions - @AP
    Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPol...aspx?id=264147

Amnesty International issued a condemnation of what it termed Israel's "excessive use of force" on Land Day protesters.

The organization's deputy director of Middle East and North Africa program said in a press statement that the the human-rights group was "extremely worried" by reports that the IDF was using live ammunition on protesters, "particularly in the light of frequent and persistent use of excessive force against Palestinian protesters."

Amnesty also condemned the PA for preventing protests and Hamas for beating up protesters, calling on them both to respect freedom of assembly.
    Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Thomason View Post
    RT @BreakingNews: AP source: US President Obama determines global oil supply sufficient to proceed with Iranian oil sanctions - @AP
    What, did somebody lower the dipstick into the global oil well and find out?

Or was Obama busy that morning?