Thread: First Aid and amazing results

Thumbs up First Aid and amazing results

Thanks to TOL, I avoided a hospital visit! Long story short, I fell yesterday about 4 feet into our scrap pile of wood, an "oh S*it" moment.
    That sickending feeling on the way down crossed my mind as to what I was going to break, damage.

Well the main damage was a quarter size gouge right below the inside of my wrist with an inch wide scrape all the way to my elbow. I sat there assessing if everything else was working. Have to say the amount of blood was incredible.

Anyway, made it back to the house, telling myself don't panic as I was home alone. I proceeded to run cold water over the wound, stanch the blood with paper towels all the while pulling out my first aid containers.

I then put antibiotic ointment on it, placed two mini-pads (TOL tip ) and wrapped the entire thing up with vet wrap (TOL strikes again ).

It was painful for many hours.

Last night after nearly giving my DH a heart attack from the damage we cleaned it again under water, then I spread Manuca Honey (TOL ) and rewrapped it with mini pads and vet wrap.

Less than 24 hours later I have taken off the dressing to let the wound have fresh air . All I can say is how amazed I am at the healing process already. I am a klutz...I hurt myself all the time and I have never seen the flesh heal together so quickly. The would hurts a bit but the main thing is that it looks healthy (thru the bruising and scrapes).

So for all those skeptics, the mini pads work and are hugely less expensive than Trauma pads, the vet wrap was great as I was having to wrap it around my arm by myself and it was easy to work with and the honey healed things so quickly.

So I wanted to share and give thanks to TOL for the education and tips I learn every day here.

Best,
    Kate
    Ephesians 6:12-13
    We aren’t fighting against human enemies but against rulers, authorities, forces of cosmic darkness, and spiritual powers of evil in the heavens. Therefore pick up the full armor of God so that you can stand your ground on the evil day

Great testimonial and thanks for putting all that advice in a single post. Hope you continue to heal quickly.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Thumbs up

That is just the coolest thing! If you think about it, the main thing you run into at a doctor's office is lots of disease! If you can handle it at home, with natural remedies, I would think it would heal a lot quicker and more thoroughly. Besides the fact that you don't have any medical bills!
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Good job!

Being alone makes it 10x harder... especially when the injury is on a hand or arm. Then again, if your hubby had been home, I'll bet he'd have talked you into heading to the ER... now that you've both seen that even a nasty looking injury can heal well with "home treatment", you'll be more confident if- God forbid- it happens again.

Hope your tetanus shots are up to date... I'm far from being "pro vaccine" for all the garbage they try to push them on these days, but tetanus is the one we keep up and make sure we have every 5 years.

Why 5 years? The "official" recommendation is "every 10 years"... EXCEPT if you get a "contaminated wound"... that that's not just the proverbial "stepping on a rusty nail"- it can be anything from what you did to something as minor as a sliver or thorn puncture. All it takes is for you to have dirt on your skin, clothes or on the object which penetrates the skin, and you have a potential disaster.

And no, it's not all that common, but it is such a devastating disease (and is uncommon *because* people are vaccinated) for those of us who work outdoors a lot, it can be literally lifesaving.

And because we keep the vaccination up to date, we don't have to head to the ER even for something like stepping on a nail (hubby managed that a couple years ago in the barnyard- probably a century of old manure out there, plus the nail was so old it was SQUARE)

Anyway... keep an eye on it, but it sounds like it's going to heal fine. The honey may even help prevent scarring, but after a couple days, you might want to consider putting some Vitamin E oil on it... you can just open a capsule of Vitamin E with a pin, and squeeze the oil out onto the injury, and then gently spread it around.

Summerthyme

Glad you didn't break anything.

Thanks for all the good hints.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

glad you came out of it with "minor" injuries and are having a quick recovery!

falls have become one of my bigger fears in middle age, I have always been able to trip over thin air.
    I sure don't bounce like I used to so something always gets hurt!

what is Manuca Honey?

Thanks everyone. Summerthyme also thanks for the heads up on the tetanus shots, it has been 3 or 4 years and a good reminder for me to check with my MD next visit as to when we last had one.

That is the only shot I allow for sure!

I just ordered some additional Manuka Honey .
    Here is source that has it on sale and I can attest to thier quality of products and prices. I double checked amazon and they were about $10 higher. This week special is $1.99 shipping for order I think over $25. Use the word ULTRA in the special box and you will get the $1.99 shipping.
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/WED003/ItemDetail
    The sale price for the above item is $29.95 and well worth it!

I pulled out a standard first aid kit and opened a "trauma pack" which in essence was the same as a mini-pad. Those can even be bought at the Dollar Tree . Again, huge savings for the same product.

I guess I am psyched because I was able to put myself in the mindset that if S had really HTF, I was on my own, could not panic and had to get er' done . I did and again it felt good not to mention saving money from the ER.

Thanks for the Vitamin E tip as well.

Here is wikepedia for Manuka Honey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuka_honey

They say it works for acid reflux and all types of stomach disorders also!
    Ephesians 6:12-13
    We aren’t fighting against human enemies but against rulers, authorities, forces of cosmic darkness, and spiritual powers of evil in the heavens. Therefore pick up the full armor of God so that you can stand your ground on the evil day