Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices Expected To Continuously Increase Through Summer

I always rush out to get gas whenever I hear gas prices have fallen by a couple of pennies. It always rises .20 by 3:00 that day.

When the media says gas has risen, I know that I can wait until the next day to get gas at 2 cents cheaper / gal.
    God is gracious.

Good to see support. I just spent time today on new reports on Peak Oil sites. The ? when will decline start. Some are saying even this year, certainly by 2013.

Although they never use the term, people everywhere are talking about the effects of peak oil. Two days ago there was a guy on Fox news saying that Americans would probably be seeing gas lines and rationing by 2015. Of course, his solution was to drill more. I'm okay with that, but I don't think most people understand that there's simply less and less good, cheap oil to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Although they never use the term, people everywhere are talking about the effects of peak oil. Two days ago there was a guy on Fox news saying that Americans would probably be seeing gas lines and rationing by 2015. Of course, his solution was to drill more. I'm okay with that, but I don't think most people understand that there's simply less and less good, cheap oil to be found.
    ^^^^This (emphasis mine)

Peak oil is the herd of elephants in the livingroom. Even when the decline becomes inescapable, the MSM and government officials will not speak of it.

I've followed the peak oil phenomenon since 1997, when Scientific American did a cover story about it. I don't expect gas rationing as soon as the Fox News guy. I do expect "rationing by price" as the cost of gasoline rises even higher than it is now. I also expect that, if "that person" is reelected, there will be an effort to give the FSA some sort of break on gasoline, such as a "gasoline stamps" program akin to food stamps.
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!

Default Here in central Indiana...

Our town finally crossed the $4/gal line....hubby told me the good news after running an errand (around 8:00) last night.....it was $4.19 .

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    ^^^^This (emphasis mine)

Peak oil is the herd of elephants in the livingroom. Even when the decline becomes inescapable, the MSM and government officials will not speak of it.

I've followed the peak oil phenomenon since 1997, when Scientific American did a cover story about it. I don't expect gas rationing as soon as the Fox News guy. I do expect "rationing by price" as the cost of gasoline rises even higher than it is now. I also expect that, if "that person" is reelected, there will be an effort to give the FSA some sort of break on gasoline, such as a "gasoline stamps" program akin to food stamps.
    Increased demand is the other side of peak oil. The fact that China and India are increasing their standard of living by becoming large car markets is one part, other consumer goods also demand oil but food production is a huge contributing factor.

Every unit of domestic meat protein production requires 2-7 units of agricultural production. Put simply its not that a few want cars like us, it's that a lot of folks want to eat like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Horseradish View Post
    Good to see support. I just spent time today on new reports on Peak Oil sites. The ? when will decline start. Some are saying even this year, certainly by 2013.
    Just as with the collapse of the economy in general, gasoline supplies and reserves are being manipulated like houses and motels in Monopoly. Not enough can be done in time to prevent surging prices and eventual shortages, anywhere. Oil is the fuel that will burn down this house of cards.

When the supply scale finally tips beyond anyone's ability to cover it up, the affects will be felt in every corner of the planet. We are creating our own black hole here on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Seditious View Post
    Increased demand is the other side of peak oil. The fact that China and India are increasing their standard of living by becoming large car markets is one part, other consumer goods also demand oil but food production is a huge contributing factor.

Every unit of domestic meat protein production requires 2-7 units of agricultural production. Put simply its not that a few want cars like us, it's that a lot of folks want to eat like we do.
    Very true. Even as petroleum consumption declines here in the U.S., it's rising in Chindia even more quickly, both for vehicle fuel and food production. China registered 100 million cars last year out of 219 million motor vehicles of all types. From 2006 to 2010, China added an average of 9.51 million new cars every single year. India is quickly catching up, thanks to the popularity of the cheap Tata Motors vehicles. Meanwhile, meat consumption -- and the energy needed to produce it -- has risen exponentially.

Thing is, while everyone wants to be like the U.S., there's this wall ahead that everyone, including the U.S., is about to hit head on. The crash won't be pretty.
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Very true. Even as petroleum consumption declines here in the U.S., it's rising in Chindia even more quickly, both for vehicle fuel and food production. China registered 100 million cars last year out of 219 million motor vehicles of all types. From 2006 to 2010, China added an average of 9.51 million new cars every single year. India is quickly catching up, thanks to the popularity of the cheap Tata Motors vehicles. Meanwhile, meat consumption -- and the energy needed to produce it -- has risen exponentially.

Thing is, while everyone wants to be like the U.S., there's this wall ahead that everyone, including the U.S., is about to hit head on. The crash won't be pretty.
    So, Obama is right?

This conversation always makes me snicker a little bit.

For many people, a QUARTER of their income goes to the fuel in order to propel them to their job. For some it's higher.

I had a brief conversation with the cashier at our local grocer the other day. I asked her if she'd started her tomato plants yet and she replied testily that she "doesn't have time to garden because she's so busy working." I asked why she had to work so much and she then snapped, "Because I have to feed my family!"

You don't have time to grow food because you're so busy working so that you can buy food?

Is there a magic price of gasoline that will force us Americans to suddenly realize the trap and fraud of corporate employment? Is there a number at which Americans will suddenly begin to be concerned with how to reduce their needs so that they don't have to sell their time?

We live in such a state of wealth and luxury that has never been seen before in the history of men. Even the poorest peasant in America enjoys out-of-season strawberries and air conditioning. Entertainment is piped straight in through the wires. Each of us lives a life that a king could only have dreamed of in times past.

But you wanted it to be cheap forever?