Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clotted Cream

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Devonshire (or Devon) Cream is a clotted cream produced commercially in Devon Cornwall and Somerset England. It is a thick, rich, yellowish cream with a scalded or cooked flavor that is made by heating unpasteurized milk until a thick layer of cream forms on its surface. The milk is then cooled and the layer of cream is skimmed off. Clotted cream has 55-60 percent fat content and is so thick it does not need to be whipped.

If you have access to unpasteurized cream, the 'Joy of Cooking' tells us how we can make our own clotted cream. (I have never tried this as I cannot seem to find unpasteurized cream in grocery stores.) Begin by taking unpasteurized cream and letting it stand for about 12 hours (during the winter months) or 6 hours (during the warm summer months). Then to sterilize the cream; place the cream over very low heat (do not boil) until rings form on the surface of the cream. Store in a cold place for at least 12 hours and then skim the thick clotted cream from the surface of the cream. You now have homemade Clotted Cream.
    Do you know whether you have to use unpateurized cream or will it work with unpasteurized milk and letting the cream rise to the top.

We have a dairy farm about 2 miles away that sells milk that we use to make cheese.

I had clotted cream in Opheim Montana once when invited to a local's for coffee. It was the best cup of coffee I have ever had in my entire life. I can almost recall the taste of it 55 years later. YUM YUM
    --------------------------------------------------
    There are two ways to be fooled.
    One is to believe
    what isn't true;
    the other is to refuse
    to believe what is true.
    ~~Soren Kierkegaard 1813-1855

Don't know about your "milk dairy" but mine would allow me to dip cream before turning on the cooling tank for the same price! You need lots of cream but probably a little might make a little clotted cream. Try it and let us know.

There was a BBC TV show called the Edwardian Farm, which is sometimes found on youtube. Ruth, the delightful young lady that is the domestics historian in the series, makes clotted cream the authentic way, and they happen to be filming in Devon.

I changed my recipe to match hers, and it is now light, airy, and sweet, with a creamy buttery overtone. I suspect it is better because it is made without refrigeration, just time and a cool room.