Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clotted Cream

Default Clotted Cream

for those of you that have dairy animals I found this blog today

http://marriedanirishfarmer.com/2012...-cream-dreams/

and for those wondering what I'm babbling about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotted_cream

Clotted cream (sometimes called clouted cream or Devonshire cream) is a thick cream made by indirectly heating full-cream cow's milk using steam or a water bath and then leaving it in shallow pans to cool slowly. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots' or 'clouts'.[1] It forms an essential part of a cream tea.

Although its origin is uncertain, the cream's production is commonly associated with dairy farms in South West England and in particular the counties of Cornwall and Devon. The current largest commercial producer is Rodda's in Redruth, Cornwall, which produces up to 25 tonnes (25,000 kg; 55,000 lb) of clotted cream each day. In 1998 the term Cornish clotted cream became a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) by European Union directive, as long as the milk is produced in Cornwall and the minimum fat content is 55%.

• “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

I have had the real Devonshire clotted cream and it's WONDERFUL!!! Sweet and thick, not quite whipped cream, but similar. Had an English friend when I lived in Germany who brought me a tin of it direct - still have that tin as a reminder.

Tasty.

Once you get past the word "clotted" in the name, it sounds really good. If we ever get cows I might try to make some.
    He said to them,"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
    Once you get past the word "clotted" in the name, it sounds really good. If we ever get cows I might try to make some.

Yeah it makes me wish we had cows as well, wonder if this would work with pasturized milk?

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

I've had this in the UK, fresh with home made jam and scones...some of the best food ever tasted; especially in a little out of the way home-owned pub while hiking from Avery to Long-barrow mound (about 5 miles).
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    I've had this in the UK, fresh with home made jam and scones...some of the best food ever tasted; especially in a little out of the way home-owned pub while hiking from Avery to Long-barrow mound (about 5 miles).

I was hoping you'd chime in, have you ever made any yourself?

Joan of Arc

Devonshire (or Devon) Cream is a clotted cream produced commercially in Devon Cornwall and Somerset England. It is a thick, rich, yellowish cream with a scalded or cooked flavor that is made by heating unpasteurized milk until a thick layer of cream forms on its surface. The milk is then cooled and the layer of cream is skimmed off. Clotted cream has 55-60 percent fat content and is so thick it does not need to be whipped.

If you have access to unpasteurized cream, the 'Joy of Cooking' tells us how we can make our own clotted cream. (I have never tried this as I cannot seem to find unpasteurized cream in grocery stores.) Begin by taking unpasteurized cream and letting it stand for about 12 hours (during the winter months) or 6 hours (during the warm summer months). Then to sterilize the cream; place the cream over very low heat (do not boil) until rings form on the surface of the cream. Store in a cold place for at least 12 hours and then skim the thick clotted cream from the surface of the cream. You now have homemade Clotted Cream.

Thanks for the info! My Mother and I were just talking about this on Saturday as we went to the ladies tea at church and they served clotted cream and jam with scones. We were wondering how to make it!

Does it taste like sour cream or whipped cream?