Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clotted Cream

Quote Originally Posted by psychgirl View Post
    Does it taste like sour cream or whipped cream?

Hmmmm yes inquiring minds want to know. I'm not sure but I may have had some of this, as a child, when visiting my grandmother in Newfoundland. She had so many weird things in the house, like those blueberry muffins that turned out to not be sweet because they were scones. It was definately culture shock for this kid!

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Really sweet, thick, thick sweet cream but with almost the consistancy of sour cream. It's heavenly. Wonderful on strawberry shortcake.

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Really sweet, thick, thick sweet cream but with almost the consistancy of sour cream. It's heavenly. Wonderful on strawberry shortcake.
    Thanks for answering! I ask because that's what I thought it might taste like but saw a tv show once where one of the characters ate some, then gagged it out in disgust! Isn't that wierd?

IF it was made with pasturized milk/cream it probably DID taste horrible - spoiled, sour, curddled stuff!

Clotted cream tastes like really thick, rich sweet cream.

I've also made creme fraiche which comes out very thick, but is not as sweet - slightly sour depending on how long it sits.

Boy, I'm glad I found this thread.

The strawberries are coming up earlier this year with our early spring, and I have a friend who has several cows so I can get access to unpasturized milk/cream.

Going to be a criminal eh, Barry?

Let us know how it tastes.
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

I have not tried making it, but I may after this (lol) but it tastes like fresh cream, it isn't sour but it does have a rich, cooked taste.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Can you make it sweeter and more dessert-like by adding flaovrings?

What I have had was extemely sweet just plain and VERY dessert like. since it is made by just letting it "sit" I don't know what stirring it would make happen.