Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did a 'Sea Monster' Wash Up on a South Carolina Coast?

Default Did a 'Sea Monster' Wash Up on a South Carolina Coast?

((can't get pic to post ...click on link to see it))

By Kelli Bender, PAWNATION.COM

March 26, 2012

Residents in a South Carolina coastal town believe they are dealing with a whole different kind of sea monster after an alarmingly large and strange-looking body of some kind of aquatic creature washed up on the coastal state's Folly Beach.

Not knowing what the corpse could be, locals started claiming it was some kind of unknown sea monster. A South Carolina aquarium vet quickly dispelled this belief, identifying the freaky fish as a very large sturgeon.
    Several species of sturgeon are native to North America, with the Atlantic sturgeon being the type found in the South Carolina area. All species of this swimmer are known to grow to massive sizes. The Atlantic Sturgeon usually grows to be around 10 feet long and 300 pounds, but can grow to be as big as 15 feet long and 800 pounds.

Obviously, Folly Beach's find is on the bigger side. The fish's beady eyes, face barbs and bony, scale-like plates all contribute to the sturgeon's alien look.

For many residents of the area, this may be the first and last time they see a fish of this kind. The species, which has been swimming our seas for a 100 million years, is at risk. Sturgeon populations are being hit hard by commercial fishing, with several species making the endangered list.

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Did...144271785.html
    Acts 9:10-12

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

its a sturgeon I think they call it. nope don't know how to spell it.
    momof23goats

Image:

Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Thomason View Post
    Image:

thank you JT...whatever they call it....it sure is ugly!!!
    Acts 9:10-12

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

Atlantic sturgeon......a species that is diminishing in numbers due to the demand for
    caviar.
    Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew the 70's would come back to haunt me one day.

Quote Originally Posted by momof23goats View Post
    its a sturgeon I think they call it. nope don't know how to spell it.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we have sturgeon in the lakes and rivers here and I ain't never seen NO STURGEON that looked like that before!
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

I've caught sturgeon before but dang...that is huge!!!

Lightbulb Yummmmmm...

sea food!

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we have sturgeon in the lakes and rivers here and I ain't never seen NO STURGEON that looked like that before!
    Different species. We have sturgeons in rivers here too. It sure looks grotesque but that is probably due to its size. Lots of fish get to looking much different once they get very large. They tend to get heavier in the head and body in relation to their length.