Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Household Budget Planners

Red face Household Budget Planners

Anyone using a household budget planners aside from quicken or quickbooks??? I've tried using them and have concluded I'm an accounting retard as I cannot get them to work the way everyone says they should, and cannot afford a bookkeeper! Quickbooks and quicken I used when I had the retail business and I have to admit no longer having to use those programs has been one of the greatest joys in my life!

I see there are several online options, Dave Ramsey has some options as does mint.com

Thoughts, suggestions, and pitfalls I should avoid? I have a loose in my head budget but would love to get it down on paper, I do have excel on my machine but haven't really used it for the household.

Btw THIS thread is NOT about slamming those who don't have a budget written in stone!!!
    Last edited by packyderms_wife; 04-06-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

I bet there's some free excel templates out there for budgetting
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

I use mint.com, and it works pretty well. Hard to track cash purchases, though. I kinda mix mint with an envelop system. I LOVE the mint iphone app. For cash envelopes, use cash vault on your phone.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    I bet there's some free excel templates out there for budgetting

I've been searching and of course all of the buy me templates come up first.

K-

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama Ten Bears View Post
    I use mint.com, and it works pretty well. Hard to track cash purchases, though. I kinda mix mint with an envelop system. I LOVE the mint iphone app. For cash envelopes, use cash vault on your phone.

what part of mint.com makes it difficult to track cash purchases??? I don't have a smart phone yet but with new IRS business apps OC is thinking it may time to purchase one for me, thinking it would enable me to keep better track of my studio purchases when I"m out and about.

Joan of Arc

There is no way to enter cash purchases on the phone that I've found.
    Mama Ten Bears

I don't have 10 children, but I did see 10 bears on vacation once. Thought it'd be a cool screen name.

There is no way to enter cash purchases on the phone that I've found.

hmmmm that could be a problem as I spend cash when I'm at the farmers market, etc., for the house and when I'm out shopping for my studio since I tend to look for vintage stuff to incorporate into my artwork. So that could be a problem, some folks only take cash though a few I know have now started using Square.com.

Joan of Arc

mamma10bears are you using an app, etc., for price comparison when grocery shopping? I hear there are a few good ones out there that let you know what the best prices on an item is in your area.

My best friend just enters her shopping list into the app on her smart phone and it gives her prices, coupons, etc. I'll have to ask her which one it is.

K-

Joan of Arc

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    hmmmm that could be a problem as I spend cash when I'm at the farmers market, etc., for the house and when I'm out shopping for my studio since I tend to look for vintage stuff to incorporate into my artwork. So that could be a problem, some folks only take cash though a few I know have now started using Square.com.
    That's what I do with cash vault. I budget x amount for Atm in mint. Then, I use the envelop system with that cash. In cash vault, I have a vault for groceries, personal, yada yada. I enter cash purchases there.

My phone is the old 3s iphone, so I don't have a good app for comparison shopping. There are a bunch for coupons too that you might investigate. shoogar is one. Can't remember the others.
    Mama Ten Bears

That's what I do with cash vault. I budget x amount for Atm in mint. Then, I use the envelop system with that cash. In cash vault, I have a vault for groceries, personal, yada yada. I enter cash purchases there.

My phone is the old 3s iphone, so I don't have a good app for comparison shopping. There are a bunch for coupons too that you might investigate. shoogar is one. Can't remember the others.

is cashvault available only through iPhone??? Just wondering because I was looking at getting the Samsung Galaxy Note which would allow me to use it as an ereader and as a phone, I text mostly so the bulky size of the Galaxy, when used as an actual phone, won't be an issue for me. I have a couple of artist friends that have purchased that phone to double as an ereader and for the artist applications and they absolutely LOVE it, and like me they rarely use it for making actual phone calls.

I'm not sure what the iPhone options are as I haven't investigated them yet.

K-

Joan of Arc