Thread: Big Girl Chic: Plus-Size Retail Growing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Years ago (like over two decades) I went to Lane Bryants because I needed a leotard for my belly dancing class. The clerk (a tiny thing) looked at me (who was only a size 1x not a 4x or anything) and said,

"I don't think they make items of clothing like that in YOUR size.."

Pre-internet, I went home and looked through some catalogs and found one that specialized in all/nearly all cotton clothing. I called, the women who owned it who was also about 4'8" and weighed about 150 pounds. She had two 1X petite leotards come in and she sent me one and kept the other for herself.

I have not tried shopping at a Layne Bryant's since, but they then also tended to not be my style which is more folksy and less tailored.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    Years ago (like over two decades) I went to Lane Bryants because I needed a leotard for my belly dancing class. The clerk (a tiny thing) looked at me (who was only a size 1x not a 4x or anything) and said,

"I don't think they make items of clothing like that in YOUR size.."

Pre-internet, I went home and looked through some catalogs and found one that specialized in all/nearly all cotton clothing. I called, the women who owned it who was also about 4'8" and weighed about 150 pounds. She had two 1X petite leotards come in and she sent me one and kept the other for herself.

I have not tried shopping at a Layne Bryant's since, but they then also tended to not be my style which is more folksy and less tailored.
    My mother had a sales clerk tell her that too once when she had just walked into the store. The woman stopped her and without asking if Mama was in there for herself or what, said that. Blew Mama away. My mother, even when not pudgy, was curvy. At 17, she was a 44F 22 44. She always looked good, even in her lounge clothes. Finally, she got mad and just tailor made a bunch of suits and dresses for her, and man, did she look beautiful.
    God won't put anything on you that you and HE can't handle.
    She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man and she rode good horses...author unknown.

History is written by those who killed heros.