Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How's everyones Medical Preps coming along?

Smile How's everyones Medical Preps coming along?

I'm sure that most of you have some first aid preps, and probably have had for quite a while too. But, do you have enough? For instance, if things get all 'biblical' here soon, and there are no more stores, no more buying nor selling.....do you have enough? Something to think about.

I'm completely revamping mine. I just set up 2 more shelves in my basement today trying to get my gear/stuff all organized. It's a LOT of work.

I'll try to post a picture as soon as I'm done with it all. I'll probably also show some of the newer items that I've purchased and maybe some videos from Youtube on how they're used.

Is everyone ready?

BFC- 'almost' ready, but not quite....
    World War Three: "The Last Day". Fictional(?) depiction of an attack against Israel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5T5CF1jhTg
    ----------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTX View Post
    "When in doubt empty your magazine"

"Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

I'd have to be a lot richer than I am to REALLY feel like I have enough! I know- from unfortunate experience- how much gauze, etc you can go through in a damned short time with even a relatively minor injury. (When a horse of mine suffered a seriously bad leg laceration years ago, I went through 2 cases of Vet-wrap in the first two months).

But thanks to some serendipitous blessings, I've really increased some important meds and stocks, and I'm grateful. I'll just keep my running list and hope to add a few more things before everything goes south!

Summerthyme

Looking forward to this.
    Hurry, please.

Just received our most recent order from alldaychemist.com to stock up on antibiotics, inhalers, etc. We are still terribly under prepared but lately all of our money is going to renovating our place in tennessee so there's not much to spare...

would love to see all that! I kinda get all giddy with pictures lol. My medical could be improved as most everyones could I think. I have a lot of the basics though, just not the not so used stuff.
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

Smile

I thought that I'd just share something with you guys. This is an Ebay item, I have actually purchased two of them and recently received them. I've been working and haven't had the time to post much, nor work on my preps, but I'm so impressed with this item that I felt like that for those so inclined that this 'could' be a gem for your medical preps.

It's an advanced IFAK kit. It's advertised as a first aid kit......but trust me, it's not. It's geared more towards trauma, and is at paramedic level training (or higher) IMO. But......for the price.....wow. I priced these items individually and this 'kit' is a screaming deal. Hence my purchasing two of them. I'm going to get a couple more for some of my brothers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110833003006...84.m1439.l2649

Anyways, remember, this is advertised as a first aid kit, but it's far, far advanced above that.

BTW, IFAK = Improved First Aid Kit. It's a military designation.

BFC
    World War Three: "The Last Day". Fictional(?) depiction of an attack against Israel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5T5CF1jhTg
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTX View Post
    "When in doubt empty your magazine"

"Stay in school, work hard, stay out of trouble and when you grow up, you can pay for those who didn't."

I'm fairly well set with my first aid and (obviously) limited medical stash. My must have item, my 40mg Inderal tablets, I have a good stash and have more on order. Got some antibiotic capsules in the stash (Achromycin) and hope to get more...its low cost.

Bandages, gauze, tape, first aid type tools, even a surplus military field surgical kit which I do NOT ever want to have the need to use!

Alcohol, Zinc Oxide, Cortisone cream, Triple Antibiotic goo, Benadryl capsules and cream, Tea Tree Oil and Preparation H.

Go ahead. Make jokes. I won't mind.

Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows. - Nietzsche

We are in very good shape now. About three months ago I made it a focus to make major improvements in med preps and we got it done. There is really nothing we are lacking or wanting in that department at this point.

I was an EMT many years ago so tend to build things myself rather than pre packaged kits.

We now have an;

EMT First aid kit

Burn kit

Suture Kit

Dental Kit

Animal first aid kit

Antibiotics/ pain management kit

Large cupboard with deep stock of first aid back ups

A large cupboard with a stock of OTC’s to rival a large pharmacy.

Good sized library of how to medical books

Merck Manual
    Merck Vet Manual
    PDR
    Gray’s
    Where there is no doctor
    Where there is no Vet
    Where there is no dentist
    Medical writings on antibiotic uses etc.

Also based on recommendation on TTOL I have now placed and received 4 orders from AlldayC.. Generally very happy with them.

I price compared them and their prices are good.
    Obviously access to their products if there is no other source is good thing.

My first order was declined. I tried to utilize their “live chat’ service twice and they never get back to you. I called them and they did return the call a few hours later. I called the bank and found out that it is SOP for VISA to not allow transactions with countries known for a lot of fraud. The billing part of their business is in Cyprus so that is why it was declined. I had to make arrangements each time I placed an order for the bank to allow transactions with Cyprus and India for a specified window of time.

Other than that I appreciate the recommendation.

Ben Sunday... why would anyone make jokes? Because of the "preparation H"? Or because of the basicness (yeah, it's not a word!) of your stash?

No jokes here... I think it's safe to say that your average family, even after TSHTF, is FAR more likely to use hydrocortisone cream and preparation H than they are a surgical kit! While we certainly CAN survive without some of the excellent OTC meds we've gotten accustomed to over the years, it's very true that they make life easier and more comfortable.

If someone has a bad headache or nasty periodic cramps, they CAN go peel some willow bark and steep a pot of tea... in an hour or so (depending on how far they have to walk to get to the willow!), they'll have some relief. Or, they can open a bottle of aspirin from their stash, and be feeling some relief in 10 minutes or so.

Benadryl can literally be a lifesaver. While most people use it as a sleep aid, or for harmless, but aggravating allergy symptoms, in the case of anaphylaxis, where you don't have any epinephrine, Benadryl (the liquid works a little bit faster) can literally save your life. There are very few herbal remedies for this problem. There are some studies which show some interesting possibilities, but without epinephrine and/or benadryl, anaphylaxis is likely to be rapidly fatal. Stocking a few bottles of Benadryl now (the capsules store a LONG time if kept cool and dry) is certainly cheap insurance.

While I've gone beyond the OTC meds and basic stuff into more advanced protocols, including many herbs, etc, that isn't where I suggest most people start! Starting with vital Rx meds *for your family*, and the basic OTC meds and first aid items is the important part. Going beyond that is optional, and depends on your financial resources as well as your comfort zone in terms of medical treatment. Not everyone needs a cabinet full of ER supplies.

Summerthyme

Thanks for that info., ST. Printed. I'm off to see if the Dollar Store has any Benadryl. Then I'll tape the printout to the package.