Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blister's - It's What's New for Spring!!!

Arrow Blister's - It's What's New for Spring!!!

Okie dokie, spent a GLORIOUS day outside raking and helping OC chip stuff up, now have to raised gardens mulched and ready to go this week!

My first harvest of the year is a massive blister and the skin tore right off of it, it's in the crease between the thumb and index finger.

Since I know I won't be the ONLY person harvesting blisters this year, with all of the new gardener's on board, I thought it might be nice to discuss our favorite blister remedies... and remember if it becomes very swollen and starts to smell funny see a doc ASAP!!!

Myself I coated mine in bag balm and currently have a bandaid covering the wound. Will clean it good and put some salve on it before bed.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

These (or similar types from other brands)http://www.amazon.com/Band-Aid-Adhes...f=pd_sim_hpc_5

They soak up the fluid the blister produces, and can be left on for a few days. If you put a decent cushioned bandage over the top, they work better than anything else I've seen.

However, IF you can, you don't let the surface tear off... when you realize you're getting a blister, do what you can (apply a blister-prevention cushion bandage) to keep it from getting any worse.

It's best to just leave them alone and intact if possible. If they're in a really bad spot (interfering with daily activity), use a STERILE needle to puncture them to drain the "bubble", then apply one of the bandages similar to those in the link above.

Keeping a kit like this on hand is a good idea:
    http://www.amazon.com/Spenco-2nd-Ski...2724675&sr=8-1

Otherwise, treat them like a 2nd degree burn... rinse with colloidal silver, keep moist and watch for infection. Keep covered and protected (some of the silver impregnated bandages would likely work well... I just soak a piece of telfa (nonstick) gauze in some colloidal silver and apply it- and save several dollars in the process!)

And next time, WEAR GLOVES!!

One of my preps is a medium sized rubbermaid container full of work gloves... all sizes from what will fit the grandsons in a couple years (3-5 year olds) to womens, to mens. An ounce of prevention, and all that...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Otherwise, treat them like a 2nd degree burn... rinse with colloidal silver, keep moist and watch for infection. Keep covered and protected (some of the silver impregnated bandages would likely work well... I just soak a piece of telfa (nonstick) gauze in some colloidal silver and apply it- and save several dollars in the process!)

Summerthyme
    where does one buy collidal silver, if one doesn't want to make it themselves? Ditto on those impregnated bandages.

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Dunno... I make it myself by the gallon. We don't use it for internal use for humans, so I'm not paranoid about whether or not it's a "true colloid". It WORKS. And I can make a quart in 10 minutes, for pennies (or a fraction of a penny... I've been using the same 1 ounce bar cut in half for 10 years now... there's still lots of silver left!)

The silver impregnated bandaids can be found at Walmar, almost certainly at Amazon, and www.Jefferspet.com has "vetwrap" with silver impregnated pads on them. Really great for livestock- or people! LOL! and a LOT cheaper than the ones sold for humans...

http://www.jefferspet.com/pet-flex-s...ing/p/0034881/

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    where does one buy collidal silver, if one doesn't want to make it themselves? Ditto on those impregnated bandages.

I bought some from puritan.com

I just checked, they do not offer it any more.

Unfortunately, I've never learned how to make my own.

Does anyone have a source?

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post

What I've been using:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-174633...-oz?redirect=1

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Path-S...2331162&sr=8-2

This stuff is like friggen magic.

1st link not wk
    specifics please my dear as in brand/strength!!
    thanky.....

Quote Originally Posted by miss becky View Post
    1st link not wk
    specifics please my dear as in brand/strength!!
    thanky.....

First link worked just fine for me it was himilayan brand neti wash.

K-

Joan of Arc

Himalayan Institute - Neti Wash Silver Colloidal Silver 500 Ppm - 1 oz. - 7.99
    (too expensive, I think)
    http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-174633...-oz?redirect=1

I just realized the link to the other one is not the one I've been using. Which is why it's cheaper.

This is the other one we've been using:

Natural Path Silver Wings Dietary Mineral Supplement, Colloidal Silver, 500 PPM, 4 fl. oz. / 120 ml
    http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Path-S...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

The price went up more than 2$ the day after I bought it. lol

thank you.