Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
The older we get the harder it becomes to give up those things which give us comfort.

[drift] That's why it's important to come up with some alternatives while materials are easily available. For example, a friend can't live without his music. It's vital to his morale. I've been helping him download songs that he can play on a tiny MP3 player that can be recharged with a solar recharger.

When I get more time, I'm going to fabricate a way to recharge the player with wind power, plus get him two more back ups, which will be stored carefully. [/drift]

Hubby and I built this 16x20 cabin basically by ourselves. Some friends helped and we hired a guy to do the peaks our backs wouldn't let us do anymore. We found a really good kid to stay in it in exchange for finishing it. He can stay long term. Is going to build us a 12x16 up in the back of the 40 acres.

I am going to build a cabin on runners this summer. A few places that see sheds that they move to your property will move it. I might do 12x16 or 10x16. I want a loft so I am working on a removable rood for the move to meet height requirements. That way when we figure out where we will finally be we can move it,

You would be surprised how cheap you can build it if you loook. I sold building materials for 20 years so I can tell a good deal. Try Craigslist and Freecycle. Habitat for Humanity Restores sell used building materials. We are getting ready to fix the little shed that came with the cabin. The roof leaks. After that it can hold all sorts of goodies as I find them. I found Limner a really neat divided light sash brand new Marvin IIRC. insul glass and prefinished outside for the little barn she is building. $10. If I shop all summer by fall I will have a cabin.