Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Could you live in a 12'x12' cabin with no water or electricity?

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

Pick up camper for 2 months....UNfun.

30 foot RV (though with elec and AC and water/sewer) 13 months FUN
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    You paint a beautiful picture of your island, Romy! You're right, it takes two to tango, and compromises have to be made, but it sounds like you've found a good balance.
    The photo I use as my avatar is the center of my view out of the back of my home, there is an Eagle's nest below. It is a small country style home with a lodge looking interior (what looks like panabode lumber). It is very quaint being one of the more simple homes and the island is every bit as beautiful as you can picture! The phone lines and electric lines are under water so you do not see poles anywhere. The only signs are the ones that say stop or 15 mph reminders. :) There is a really nice golf course, I do not play though and an old tennis court by the duck pond my boys love. Besides that, simply pristine beaches you can walk all around the island at low tide. It is so very quiet here.

I do make more effort of late to thank hubby profusely for shopping, even he sighs in relief as he walks back in the door. When I did not leave the island for a 6 week stretch the first time, the islanders asked my hubby where he hid the body as a joke. LOL Now they just seem accustomed to not seeing me around hardly :) I am good at compromise....:) We live here because...he compromised! This is absolutely my cup of tea. You could plunk a 12 by 12 here and it would a completely different thing then other places..I agree location matters.
    As the sun sets over the water, the air is drenched with the nuances of honeysuckles mixed with other florals, roses plus pines and the waves kick up the deep water scents combined. It is my gift for a time to see this, through the windows of my realm....borrowed and quite treasured with every moment in time.

Have a lovely Day
    Romy
    Island Girl
    www.romysrealm.com
    www.kefirwellness.com
    www.romysrealm.blogspot.com

Cleveland OH, looking wistfully towards...Banks of the Brazos River, Republic of Texas

OK, now I'm both jealous and curious.

What state is this island in, if you feel like sharing???
    "I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"
    [Frank Herbert...Bene Gesserit Fear Littany}

night driver's I-garage:
    http://bluemudpatriot.wordpress.com/

Looks like Puget Sound of Washington.

Lightbulb 30 foot trailer

DW and I have a 30 foot trailer we use for camping.
    When we married we both had more back packing gear than car camping gear but we developed friendships with tent campers who drove to where we all started camping.
    DW and I tent camped 35+ years before getting our first trailer (Skipped the Newbie tendency of getting a pop up and then upgrading a year later).
    Our trailer has a 12 foot wide slide out that doubles our indoor living space.
    I call it our 2 bedroom apartment on wheels (sleeps nine when we get some of the grandsons together for the summer).
    We could live in it year round if we had access to full hookups and propane.
    Otherwise we could live in it for several months using my gasoline powered generators and have a water hose hooked up (and if I could drain the black water tank every week or so).
    DW is not yet willing to give up her DVD watching but we do cook outside in our Dutch Ovens every time we camp so cooking with wood is normal (as is heating our home up at the 5,500 foot level) so there is hope for minimizing our lifestyle eventually.
    The older we get the harder it becomes to give up those things which give us comfort.
    • Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God”
    The Apostle Paul told us to not worry about anything.
    What should we do instead of worrying?
    1. Pray for what you need as well as for what you want.
    2. Tell God that you are thankful for what he has already given you.
    3. Request from God everything you need for the day, every day.
    Libertatem a Calumnia (Freedom from Oppression)

The older we get the harder it becomes to give up those things which give us comfort.

[drift] That's why it's important to come up with some alternatives while materials are easily available. For example, a friend can't live without his music. It's vital to his morale. I've been helping him download songs that he can play on a tiny MP3 player that can be recharged with a solar recharger.

When I get more time, I'm going to fabricate a way to recharge the player with wind power, plus get him two more back ups, which will be stored carefully. [/drift]

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

[drift] That's why it's important to come up with some alternatives while materials are easily available. For example, a friend can't live without his music. It's vital to his morale. I've been helping him download songs that he can play on a tiny MP3 player that can be recharged with a solar recharger.

When I get more time, I'm going to fabricate a way to recharge the player with wind power, plus get him two more back ups, which will be stored carefully. [/drift]

Hubby and I built this 16x20 cabin basically by ourselves. Some friends helped and we hired a guy to do the peaks our backs wouldn't let us do anymore. We found a really good kid to stay in it in exchange for finishing it. He can stay long term. Is going to build us a 12x16 up in the back of the 40 acres.

I am going to build a cabin on runners this summer. A few places that see sheds that they move to your property will move it. I might do 12x16 or 10x16. I want a loft so I am working on a removable rood for the move to meet height requirements. That way when we figure out where we will finally be we can move it,

You would be surprised how cheap you can build it if you loook. I sold building materials for 20 years so I can tell a good deal. Try Craigslist and Freecycle. Habitat for Humanity Restores sell used building materials. We are getting ready to fix the little shed that came with the cabin. The roof leaks. After that it can hold all sorts of goodies as I find them. I found Limner a really neat divided light sash brand new Marvin IIRC. insul glass and prefinished outside for the little barn she is building. $10. If I shop all summer by fall I will have a cabin.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Beautiful landscape pic., TOL! Nice-looking cabin, too. You're right....if you take your time, and shop Craigslist, FreeCycle, etc., you can build a cabin on a shoestring in a matter of months.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

DH collected windows, got some that were very high end ones, just had a few specs on them, all double paned, and double paned sliding glass doors w/vinyl framing. He also was given framing lumber, all the siding (rough hewn Fir), and recycled an old school door. Here is what he built, spending less than $1,500 (the roof cost the most, the side deck was built later). It is a 10 X 20 with loft on one side, 2 rooms, and serves the purpose of potting/garden cabin (the smaller room is for garden tools). DH added a wood shed on the back, too.

Quote Originally Posted by chicom View Post
    Just wait til I get my hands on a personal watercraft. Hilarity will ensue.
    Thanks for the smile and chuckle, chicom.