Thread: question about brooder size for turkey peeps

Default question about brooder size for turkey peeps

well, once again I got ahead of myself...
    we have a bunch of baby turkeys hatching out and some a few days old in a large rubbermaid tub at the moment.

DH is outside asking me how large a brooder does he need to build for them until they are able to go into a real pen.
    um... I don't know.

I'd like one up on legs, so I can have him use hardware cloth on the bottom and can clean the droppings out to the compost pile.
    We are limited to having it near the house or garage to be able to run power for heat lamps.

what do you all do or would suggest if you needed to build a freestanding one for ease of cleaning, keeping them warm, how tall, wide, long for maybe 15-20 turkey poults?

thanks!

Not what you are looking for, but I lay an 8 x 10 blue tarp on the floor in my shop, duct tape 12" cardboard "walls" (appliance boxes work well cut into strips) all around the edges of the tarp, free standing, pile in straw/hay, the waterer, feeders and hang a light clamped to a board over the top and then an old sheet over that. Seems to work well for all the chickies and poults at the same time. By the time they have outgrown that they are fully feathered and ready to go outside. Just fold up that tarp and empty on the compost pile and you're done for the year. and this reminds me I better get busy - power of positive thinking! LOL.

actually goatlady that is good info, we just don't have an enclosed area to set it up like that.

Dh spent the afternoon building a very sturdy enclosed type of outdoor brooder that stands about 8ft long x 3ft tall and on legs, should come in handy for yrs..