Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Given all the people with blood sugar problems who refuse to admit it, I think fasting is a terrible idea for most. Half of the avoidable auto accidents on our freeways are caused by people not getting their meals on time or getting enough sleep.

I think eating "plainer" meals (simple meals) accomplishes many of the same things.

I know a Catholic family who during Lent this year did all their cooking from scratch, serving meals like bean soup and fresh bread. They donated the savings to a local food bank.

I know a number of people who would be unhappy with that amount of carbs in a meal, but that's just an example. One could also serve a portion of marinated flank steak over a bed of lettuce, plus a piece of fruit and water to drink . . .
This is also an issue. Some have said a fast is only the elimination of food, and that drink is immaterial at this point. Others have said only water comprises an acceptable fast. And like grower said, some still have said not even water is acceptable.

Not all of them can be right. So which definition does God use? The Bible seems a bit short on the definitions, at least that I've seen, and I've read it a few times in my life.