Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip'

Default Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip'

Minnesota Waitress Sues After Police Seize $12,000 'Tip'

by JENNIFER ABBEY
    April 5, 2012

Stacy Knutson, a struggling Minnesota waitress and mother of five, says she was searching for a "miracle" to help her family with financial problems.
    But that "miracle" quickly came and went after police seized a $12,000 tip that was left at her table. Knutson filed a lawsuit in Clay County District Court stating that the money is rightfully hers. Police argue it is drug money.
    Knutson was working at the Fryn' Pan in Moorhead, Minn., when, according to her attorney, Craig Richie, a woman left a to-go box from another restaurant on the table. Knutson followed the woman to her car to return the box to her.

"No I am good, you keep it," the woman said, according to the lawsuit.
    Knutson did not know the woman and has not seen her since, Richie said. Knutson thought it was "strange" that the woman told her to keep it but she took it inside. The box felt too heavy to be leftovers, Ritchie said, so she opened it -- only to find bundles of cash wrapped in rubber bands.
    "Even though I desperately needed the money as my husband and I have five children, I feel I did the right thing by calling the Moorhead Police," Knutson said in the lawsuit.

Police seized the money and originally told Knutson that if no one claimed it after 60 days, it was hers. She was later told 90 days, Richie said. When 90 days passed, Knutson was still without the $12,000.

More:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/struggling-...3#.T4QrTdlqQdX
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]."
    [Daniel 12:10b]

She got the money back last week.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/waitress-12...ry?id=16087809

Good for her!

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

I have no doubt that without the publicity the cops would have kept the cash and just kept giving her the runaround until she went away. Good ending to the story!
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    I have no doubt that without the publicity the cops would have kept the cash and just kept giving her the runaround until she went away. Good ending to the story!
    I totally agree. It's getting harder to tell the American cops apart from the infamously corrupt Mexican cops.

Quote Originally Posted by moestooge View Post
    I totally agree. It's getting harder to tell the American cops apart from the infamously corrupt Mexican cops.

Quote from the article:

"Knutson and her attorney were advised to file a lawsuit for the money so that a judge could grant the police department permission to turn the $12,000 back over to Jacobson, the rightful owner. Knutson filed the suit earlier this week, and with pressure from the police department to hear the case quickly, a judge ruled Thursday that the money was hers."

It appears that the police department advised on how to obtain the money then pressured the court system for an expediant hearing. Doesn't sound like the police were the bad guys here. Just dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's" so she could legally obtain the money from the police departments possession (evidence).

Quote Originally Posted by EMICT View Post
    Quote from the article:

"Knutson and her attorney were advised to file a lawsuit for the money so that a judge could grant the police department permission to turn the $12,000 back over to Jacobson, the rightful owner. Knutson filed the suit earlier this week, and with pressure from the police department to hear the case quickly, a judge ruled Thursday that the money was hers."

It appears that the police department advised on how to obtain the money then pressured the court system for an expediant hearing. Doesn't sound like the police were the bad guys here. Just dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's" so she could legally obtain the money from the police departments possession (evidence).
    It was originally reported that the cops were going to keep $11,000 by claiming the funds were "drug money" alleged sniffed by a police dog and give Knutson $1000. Sounds like major butt covering on the part of the Moorhead PD.

More and more it's becoming increasingly hard to believe ANY L.E.O.
    When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree besides the River of Truth, and tell the whole world.... "No, YOU MOVE."

It is better to die a free and armed man than a broke, imprisoned and unarmed one."

I guess the moral of the story is, if you find a big box of money don't take it to the police before you talk to your attorney.

Addendum: An attorney that you know and trust!

The police can always be counted on to do the right thing. AFTER a spotlight is turned upon them in court.