Thread: The oven on my stove went out... but...

Default The oven on my stove went out... but...

The thermostat or something went out, right after Christmas. It would heat slowly, and wouldn't hold the heat. Since it was a cheapy anyway, we debated fixing it or not. Also throw in the fact that it is natural gas, and where we will be moving is all electric(at the moment) and I just couldn't see the wisdom of buying a brand new stove.

DH happened upon a storage unit yard sale yesterday. They had an older model Hot Point gas stove for 75 dollars. So old it doesn't have an electrical cord attached! It has pilot lights. Yeah! It works beautifully, I baked a cake last night to see. So we now have an oven back. I think when we move I will take it with us, and store it if nothing else.

I hear you . . .

I had already downsized to a toaster oven for many things. I needed an oven for multiple loaves of bread and the Thanksgiving turkey. When my oven went out, I used the burners and the toaster oven, until all but only one of the burners worked. Then I bought an "apartment" oven on sale. (The stove had been a crappy digital one, less than $200 from Sears that lasted 10 years . . . it did its job)

I wouldn't have done that with a family, but I'm generally only cooking for one or two, and doing that has saved a fair amount of money.

The only modern stove/oven I was able to find a few years ago that offered the option of lighting with a match was the Peerless Premier (at Lowes); we paid a couple hundred dollars extra but it's nice to know that if we lose power, we can still bake as long as the propane holds out.

It's easy to find a stovetop you can light with a match, but it seems almost all the ovens are now controlled by digital settings and gas is released by the glow-bar thingie.

CVOR, all you have to do, when you move, is change the orifices on the burners of the stove, order a propane tank, and you are good to go with that stove for a looooong time.

Yup, any plumber can do it; we had it done on our dryer here! Lesson learned though...don't hook up a natural gas appliance to propane without changing the orifice(s). Ask me how I know...

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    CVOR, all you have to do, when you move, is change the orifices on the burners of the stove, order a propane tank, and you are good to go with that stove for a looooong time.

My thoughts exactly! I remember some years ago we were living in a very rural area when it was hit by an ice storm that knocked out power for several days. A neighbor who had gas stove and water heater said they had hot showers and hot meals the whole time. Having gas means having more than one option when the power's out.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20