Thread: Best Buy closing 42 U.S. stores

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Default Best Buy closing 42 U.S. stores

Best Buy will close its Rochester South store

By Tom Webb
    twebb@pioneerpress.com

Posted: 04/14/2012 12:01:00 AM CDT
    Updated: 04/14/2012 12:06:10 PM CDT

Best Buy said it will close its Rochester South location, its sixth big-box store in Minnesota to shut.
    On Saturday, April 14, the Richfield-based electronics chain announced the 42 remaining U.S. stores it intends to close as part of a restructuring plan announced two weeks ago.
    "We expect most of these stores will permanently close by May 12," Best Buy said.

More:
    http://www.twincities.com/ci_2039729...er-south-store
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Like a number of other brick retailers Best Buy will fall victim to a faltering economy
    and the proliferation of online retailers that can sell for less than a real store can.
    Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

The price of gas is motivating a lot of the online buying. Dh was just telling me this morning that he could buy something online for less than a dollar more than it costs in town (5 mi. away), and why spend extra on the gas? If there is anything you can get online for close to the same price as at a brick-and-mortar store, most people will buy online, with the cost of gas close to $4 a gallon!
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Customers are using Best Buy and other stores as a "showroom" to check out the items in person, and are then going online and getting it cheaper. I think that stinks as a former retailer myself.

The problem now is going to be being able to try things. It's cheaper online, sure, but in many cases there's no way to tell if it's what you really want or not. Televisions especially so.

I'm sure it's only temporary, because the news is saying the economy is picking up.
    I'm sure they wouldn't lie, besides even the false president says so, and he wouldn't lie either........no worries.
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
    Thomas Jefferson

I just got a great deal on an eight camera surveillance system online with Best Buy!
    Don't Worry, Be Fishin'!

here's one of the comments at the link

"Poor custumer service really bad return policy. I'm surprise that is takeing so long"

And I'll add to it their tech people are arrogrant pizz ants who don't know squat about computers, etc., and they have no respect for their elders. Just because you can play a video game does not make you qualified for tech support! And just because I'm a fat middle aged housewife doesn't mean I don't know anything about computers.

Hmmmmmmmmm maybe I should email this to their CEO, but he's probably only 15 years old so wouldn't get it.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

You took the words off my screen, Packy. It seems like a lot of Best Buys are run by people with the minds and manners of poorly educated teenagers.

They lost my business awhile ago when one of their techs was rattling on about how computer scanners were very old technology, on the way out. The truth was that they didn't have any in stock. I went down the street to Office Max and found exactly what I needed, plus it was on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    here's one of the comments at the link

"Poor custumer service really bad return policy. I'm surprise that is takeing so long"

And I'll add to it their tech people are arrogrant pizz ants who don't know squat about computers, etc., and they have no respect for their elders. Just because you can play a video game does not make you qualified for tech support! And just because I'm a fat middle aged housewife doesn't mean I don't know anything about computers.

Hmmmmmmmmm maybe I should email this to their CEO, but he's probably only 15 years old so wouldn't get it.

K-
    Actually you should. Years ago I was having an issue with a lemon of a pc they sold me and at the store and district level they kept givingme the run around and for some reason refused to give me the corporate contact info I requested. So I tracked it down myself, and called and got in touch with VP of customer service. My issue was resolved in less than 48 hours.