Thread: ACTS 15 Part One…

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ACTS 15 Part One…

ACTS 15 Part One…

Interlinear Greek ACTS 15

http://interlinearbible.org/acts/15.htm

The Grammar is Greek; this is typed literally in the Greek Syntax.

1 And Certain [Pharisees] came down from Judea teaching the brethren that if not circumcised after custom of Moses not power [to be] preserved. 2 Having become the commotion and discussion not little, to Paul and to Barnabas with them they appointed to go up Paul and Barnabas and certain others from among them to the apostles and elders to Jerusalem about the dispute this. 3 They indeed having been sent forward by the assembly , passed through the both Phoniken and Sameian narrating the conversion (G1995 epistrophen i.e. Turning; Teshuvah ) of the Gentiles and caused joy great to all the brethren. 4 Arriving moreover to Jerusalem they were received by the assembly and the apostles and the elders , reporting moreover [what] Elohim wrought with them.

5 Stood up certain of those of the sect of Pharision who believed , saying that must circumcise them , warning moreover to guard the law of Moses.

6 Gathered together the apostles and the elders to see about the matter this 7 of much moreover controversy having become , Rose up Peter said to them Men , brothers , you know that from days past among us the Elohim chose by the mouth of me, the Gentiles the word of gospel and believed 8 and the heart-knowing Elohim bear witness to them , giving the Spirit the Holy exactly as also we 9 and not one to separation wholly (G1252 diakrino ) between us and them; by faith to make clean the hearts of them. 10 Now therefore why to test the Elohim, to put yoke upon the neck of learners , which neither the fathers of us nor we have strength to bear.

NOTES:

Peter learned with his encounter with Cornelius that he was to call no man unclean, and by his mouth he preached the gospel to Cornelius, Elohim bearing witness giving the Holy Spirit to Cornelius , and not "separating the Gentiles from the Jews."

This is significant in this dialogue because the believing Pharisees were in agreement with the doctrines of the house of Shammai, following the 18 edicts of Shammai, that would have prevented Jews from fellow shipping with Gentiles , who were not proselytes of Pharisaical Judaism.

At Least one of these edicts of Shamma is evidenced by Acts 10:28;

Act 10:28 And he [Peter] said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

These Pharisaical requirements for separation from Gentiles were the doctrines of men, and obviously not being honored by the Spirit of Elohim.

Peter is now placing Emphasis on the witness that Elohim provided (rather than men) , granting the Gentiles the Holy Spirit, noting there was no such separation in the administration of the Spirit.

giving the Spirit the Holy exactly as also we 9 and not one to separate wholly ( diakrino G1252) between us and them”

It’s also interesting that the word “Pharisee” or Hebrew “Pharashim” literally means “separated ones”, as if Peter is making a direct allusion to the doctrines of the Pharisee’s separating themselves from Gentiles and the fact, Elohim doesn’t make this distinction in separation.

It’s also note worthy that these Gentiles are learners (G3101. Mathétés - a learner, disciple, pupil) who are making Teshuvah ( Returning) toward Elohim , they are being troubled by Pharisaical dogma that requires circumcision for salvation , along with keeping of the Oral Torah (i.e. Customs of Moses) and the written Torah . These same elements of works based salvation, physical circumcision, adherence to Oral Torah under Rabbinical authority and dogma still live on in modern day Rabbinical Judaism.

A “Yoke” is a metaphor for the teachings of a Rabbi, it was these burdensome teachings that were too heavy to bear. And Peter plainly said they were testing Elohim by trying to place this yoke on the necks of these Gentile converts. The Yoke is not the light yoke of Torah , but rather the heavy burdens of the commandments and doctrines of men contained in dogma.

Compare these concepts:
    Matthew 23:4 (Pharisaical Yoke )
    For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne and lay them on men's shoulders but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers

Matthew 11:29 (Messiahs Yoke)
    Take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls

The Yoke Peter is referring to is not simply Torah or “the law”, it is the addition of heavy burdens to believers by the Pharisees , that should be distinguished from the light Yoke and simple teachings of Torah given by the Messiah in Matthew 5.

In fact this is the same Method that Peter expected all to be saved, by trusting in and receiving the Grace of Messiah Yeshuah.

The Yoke Peter is referring to is not simply Torah or “the law”, it is the addition of heavy burdens to believers by the Pharisees , that should be distinguished from the light Yoke and simple teachings of Torah given by the Messiah in Matthew 5.
    Absolutely!

Something that folks don't seem to connect is that before the Covenant was given at Sinai, the people had to come to know that God is, that he is the only one true God, and that he is the G-d of power and might. They had to come to know him AND to trust him. This 'knowing' had to trancend a head acknowlegement, or a philosophical reasoning/rationele. They had to know in word, in deed, in every fiber of their being without a shred of doubt. It was only after they reached the point of true faith, that G-d invited them into covenant with him.

Even then, he laid it all out on the table for them to see before agreeing to it. In other words, he didn't impose himself on them, he ASKED them.

From the very beginning, faith was the mainstay of relationship with G-d. Eve had to decide for herself whether or not to believe G-d, or the deceiver. Adam had the same question posed to him. He had to decided for himself, also.

The children of G-d in the wilderness were led by G-d, provided for by G-d, protected by G-d, taught by G-d. Like Adam and Eve, they were brought to the place of decision after walking with G-d.

During the millinium it will again be a time of 'God with us". And at the end, the evil one will be loosened for a season to tempt men.

G-d doesn't change. His word doesn't change. And men still have doubts.
    As an American you have the right to not believe in guns. You also have the right to not believe in God. But if someone is trying to break into your home, or wants to harm you, the first thing you will do is pick up the phone and call someone with a gun. The second thing you will do is pray that they get there in time. ~Don Moore

A “Yoke” is a metaphor for the teachings of a Rabbi, it was these burdensome teachings that were too heavy to bear. And Peter plainly said they were testing Elohim by trying to place this yoke on the necks of these Gentile converts.
    Your comment is directly contrary to scripture.

Deuteronomy 30
    11 “For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off.
    12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
    13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
    14 But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.

Isaiah 56:3 Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say,
    “The Lord will surely separate me from his people”

Jews are COMMANDED to follow the Law. Gentiles are invited to follow the law

Default These Jews are rejecting their brethren and slighting the Bride of Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by wafflehouse View Post
    Your comment is directly contrary to scripture.

Deuteronomy 30
    11 “For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off.
    12 It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
    13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
    14 But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.

Isaiah 56:3 Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say,
    “The Lord will surely separate me from his people”

Jews are COMMANDED to follow the Law. Gentiles are invited to follow the law
    Are you Jewish ?

Compare these concepts:
    Matthew 23:4 (Pharisaical Yoke )
    For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne and lay them on men's shoulders but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers

Matthew 11:29 (Messiahs Yoke)
    Take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am meek and lowly in heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls

Peter is not calling the Torah a "Yoke" of heavy Burden ....

As John Bears out

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Whether Gentiles keep Torah or not is not the point here, the Point is about the heavy burdens added to Torah by Pharisees becoming a requirement for salvation , and doctrines that they teach as commandments of G-d but are the doctrines of men.

AS Messiah said "For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne and lay them on men's shoulders"

The law of Separation of Gentiles was a contrived doctrine of the Pharisees , See the House of Shammia and the house of Hillel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillel_and_Shammai

or search on "The 18 Edicts of Shamai"

The Gentiles in question at this council are already " Turning " to G-d , that is Teshuvah , that means they are renouncing lawlessness and putting off the body of sin, which is complying with Torah.

Paul goes to great lengths to explain the Spiritual circumcision of their heart in Colossians and Galatians , which is also a Torah Principle, and that it is not necessary to be separated from the Covenants of promise , because they were not born Jewish. Or Made Jewsih through physical circumcision , but are rather inwardly Jews.

My point is the separation of Jew and Gentile is a doctrine of man, they are not separate but equal, there is not one law for Jews and a lessor easier law for the Gentiles ... it is the same law for both.

The good news is that once shamelessly sinful and corrupt pagan gentiles can in fact draw near to Elohim through Yeshuah the Messiah.

And they can begin the path of learning the Torah on the Sabbath ....

ACTS 15:21
    For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

Messiah's bride is being woken up , and Messianic Jews in the UMJC tell people they don't have to keep the Torah ... they are not Israelite , only Jews Have to keep Torah etc...

The Bride is coming to their door and they are rejecting her and leaving her in her filth.

Do you not see what time it is?

Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

The bride is coming to their Door and they "UMJC and MJAA " are rejecting and despising her, trying to steal away any truth she might have gleaned , and she is forced to find it somewhere else.

These Jews are rejecting their brethren and slighting the Bride of Christ.

Eze 11:15 Son of man, thy brethren, [even] thy brethren, the men of thy kindred, and all the house of Israel wholly, [are] they unto whom the inhabitants of Jerusalem have said, Get you far from the LORD: unto us is this land given in possession.

They have been crying this for far to long... "Get you far from the LORD: unto us is this land given in possession."

Eze 11:16 Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Although I have cast them far off among the heathen, and although I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them as a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall come.

Eze 11:17 Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will even gather you from the people, and assemble you out of the countries where ye have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel.

Eze 11:18 And they shall come thither, and they shall take away all the detestable things thereof and all the abominations thereof from thence.

Eze 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

Eze 11:20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

Ex 12:49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Nu 15:16 One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Nu 15:29 Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them.

=================================================

Acts 15:1 ¶ And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
    2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.
    3 And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren.
    4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them.
    5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.
    6 ¶ And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
    7 And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
    8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
    9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
    11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
    12 Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.
    13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:
    14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
    15 And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
    16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
    17 That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
    18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
    19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
    20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
    21 For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jn 21:14 This is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead.
    15 ¶ So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
    16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
    17 He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
    18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.
    19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me

Lk 11:22-31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
    32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.