Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Paul write Hebrews?

Ahhhhh--I am not convinced.

Seems that even Peter was bamboozeled.

If Paul says he was taught for several years in Arabia by Jesus--then this lead me to believe that the "ascension" tale was also made up by Yeshusa's diciples to take the heat off of him after he arose... so he could make it out of town without the Romans getting wise.

There is a great deal of oral history in the Buddist lit that tells of Yeshusa teaching in the Indus valley some 2000 years ago. This would also lend itself to what Paul said about Arabia... it also connects tightly to the grave site in Northern Pakistan that is said to be of Yeshua (currently heavily guarded by Muslims BTW).

James, Peter, John, nor Jude make any mention of Timothy in their letters, while virtually all of Paul's letters make mention of him (Romans, 1st and 2nd Corinthians, Philipians, Colossians, 1st and 2nd Thessalonians, 1st and 2nd Timothy, Philemon, and, of course, Hebrews).

It was pretty obvious Timothy was brought into the fold through Paul. The only other book in the New Testament that mentions Timothy is the Book of Acts, which references most integral people in the early church.

So... I would again suggest that Hebrews was indeed written by Paul.

Default I went to the experts. Good question!

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07181a.htm

Author

Even in the earliest centuries the question as to the author of the Epistle to the Hebrews was much discussed and was variously answered. The most important points to be considered in answering the inquiry are the following:
    External evidence

(a) In the East the writing was unanimously regarded as a letter of St. Paul. Eusebius gives the earliest testimonies of the Church of Alexandria in reporting the words of a "blessed presbyter" (Pantaenus?), as well as those of Clement and Origen (Church History VI.14.2-4; Church History VI.25.11-14). Clement explains the contrast in language and style by saying that the Epistle was written originally in Hebrew and was then translated by Luke into Greek. Origen, on the other hand, distinguishes between the thoughts of the letter and the grammatical form; the former, according to the testimony of "the ancients" (oi archaioi andres), is from St. Paul; the latter is the work of an unknown writer, Clement of Rome according to some, Luke, or another pupil of the Apostle, according to others. In like manner the letter was regarded as Pauline by the various Churches of the East: Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Cappadocia, Mesopotamia, etc. (cf. the different testimonies in B.F. Westcott, "The Epistle to the Hebrews", London, 1906, pp. lxii-lxxii). It was not until after the appearance of Arius that the Pauline origin of the Epistle to the Hebrews was disputed by some Orientals and Greeks.
    (b) In Western Europe the First Epistle of St. Clement to the Corinthians shows acquaintance with the text of the writing (chs. ix, xii, xvii, xxxvi, xlv), apparently also the "Pastor" of Hermas (Vis. II, iii, n.2; Sim. I, i sq.). Hippolytus and Irenaeus also knew the letter but they do not seem to have regarded it as a work of the Apostle (Eusebius, Church History III; Photius, Cod. 121, 232; St. Jerome, Illustrious Men 59). Eusebius also mentions the Roman presbyter Caius as an advocate of the opinion that the Epistle to the Hebrews was not the writing of the Apostle, and he adds that some other Romans, up to his own day, were also of the same opinion (Church History VI.20.3). In fact the letter is not found in the Muratorian Canon; St. Cyprian also mentions only seven letters of St. Paul to the Churches (De exhort. mart., xi), and Tertullian calls Barnabas the author (On Pudicity 20). Up to the fourth century the Pauline origin of the letter was regarded as doubtful by other Churches of Western Europe. As the reason for this Philastrius gives the misuse made of the letter by the Novatians (Haer., 89), and the doubts of the presbyter Caius seem likewise to have arisen from the attitude assumed towards the letter by the Montanists (Photius, Cod. 48; F. Kaulen, "Einleitung in die Hl. Schrift Alten und Neuen Testaments", 5th ed., Freiburg, 1905, III, 211).
    After the fourth century these doubts as to the Apostolic origin of the Epistle to the Hebrews gradually became less marked in Western Europe. While the Council of Carthage of the year 397, in the wording of its decree, still made a distinction between Pauli Apostoli epistoloe tredecim (thirteen epistles of Paul the Apostle) and eiusdem ad Hebroeos una (one of his to the Hebrews) (H. Denzinger, "Enchiridion", 10th ed., Freiburg, 1908, n. 92, old n. 49), the Roman Synod of 382 under Pope Damasus enumerates without distinction epistoloe Pauli numero quatuordecim (epistles of Paul fourteen in number), including in this number the Epistle to the Hebrews (Denzinger, 10th ed., n. 84). In this form also the conviction of the Church later found permanent expression. Cardinal Cajetan (1529) and Erasmus were the first to revive the old doubts, while at the same time Luther and the other Reformers denied the Pauline origin of the letter.
    Internal evidence

(a) The content of the letter bears plainly the stamp of genuine Pauline ideas. In this regard it suffices to refer to the statements above concerning the doctrinal contents of the Epistle (see II).
    (b) The language and style vary in many particulars from the grammatical form of the other letters of Paul, as in sufficiently shown above (see III).
    (c) the distinctive characteristics of the Epistle (IV) favour more the opinion that the form in which it is cast is not the work of the author of the other Apostolic letters.
    Most probable solution

From what has been said it follows that the most probable solution of the question as to the author is that up to the present time the opinion of Origen has not been superseded by a better one. It is, consequently, necessary to accept that in the Epistle to the Hebrews the actual author is to be distinguished from the writer. No valid reason has been produced against Paul as the originator of the ideas and the entire contents of the letter; the belief of the early Church held throughout with entire correctness to this Apostolic origin of the Epistle.
    The writer, the one to whom the letter owes its form, had apparently been a pupil of the Apostle. It is not possible now, however, to settle his personality on account of the lack of any definite tradition and of any decisive proof in the letter itself. Ancient and modern writers mention various pupils of the Apostle, especially Luke, Clement of Rome, Apollo, lately also Priscilla and Aquila.
    Circumstances of the composition

An examination both of the letter itself and of the earliest testimonies of tradition, in reference to the circumstances of its composition, leads to the following conclusions:
    (1) The place of composition was Italy (13:24), and more precisely Rome (inscription at end of the Codex Alexandrinus), where Paul was during his first imprisonment (61-63).
    (2) The date of its production should certainly be placed before the destruction of Jerusalem (70), and previous to the outbreak of the Jewish War (67), but after the death of James, Bishop of Jerusalem (62). According to ch. xiii, 19, 23, the Apostle was no longer a prisoner. The most probable date for its composition is, therefore, the second half of the year 63 or the beginning of 64, as Paul after his release from imprisonment probably soon undertook the missionary journey "as far as the boundaries of Western Europe" (St. Clement of Rome, "I Epistle to the Corinthians", v, n. 7), that is to Spain.
    (3) The reason for its composition is probably to be found in the conditions existing in the Jewish Christian Church at Jerusalem. The faith of the Church might fall into great danger through continued persecution by the Jews, who had put James, the head of the community to a violent death. Precisely at this period the services in the temple were celebrated with great pomp, as under Albinus (62-64) the magnificent building was completed, while the Christian community had to struggle with extreme poverty. The national movement which began shortly before the outbreak of the last Jewish war would increase the danger. These circumstances might lead the Apostle to write the letter.
    (4) The Apostle himself declares the aim of his writing to be the consolation and encouragement of the faithful (xiii, 22). The argument and context of the letter show that Paul wished especially to exhort to steadfastness in the Christian Faith and to warn against the danger of apostasy to the Mosaic worship.
    Importance

The chief importance of the Epistle is in its content of theological teaching. It is, in complete agreement with the other letters of St. Paul, a glorious testimony to the faith of the Apostolic time; above all it testifies to the true Divinity of Jesus Christ, to His heavenly priesthood, and the atoning power of His death.
    "You Can't MAKE this stuff up."

They cast their silver into the streets, and their gold is like an unclean thing. Their silver and gold are not able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord. They cannot satisfy their hunger or fill their stomachs with it. For it was the stumbling block of their iniquity.
    Ezekiel 7:19

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Thanks, Capt. Midnight, for finding that good analysis. I can see that Paul may have been the author of the letter, but someone else wrote or translated it. That makes sense. Especially if Luke was the one who translated it, as the writing seems more in his style than it does the style of Paul's other letters. Paul dictated most of his letters anyway, IIRC, so the actual style of writing may have reflected the person taking down the dictation, rather than Paul who spoke the letter.

And Shinmen Takezo, I could argue with you all day long, but until you have been filled with the Holy Spirit, not one thing in the Bible will make a lot of sense to you.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I'm struck by two thoughts regarding Paul.

1. The mission he embarked upon after being met on the road to Damascus by Jesus was a total contradiction of his entire life up to that point. Isn't it odd that there would be a complete 180 degree turnaround by a man who was in a powerful position in the heirarchy of the Jews? What did he have to gain by that? I see loss of stature and trouble. By associating with gentiles it would be an anethema to him. Why would he do that? And of course, he did not have the fancy clothes, a 1st century equivalent of a private jet, nice hair and a tacky looking wife weighed down with 30 pounds of makeup.

2. There is not one of us today who has ever seen Jesus in the flesh or in any other manifistation that I am aware of. Does that mean that it is any more troublesome to believe that Jesus existed because all we have is the Scripture to verify His existance with respect to who He is as we do Paul?

I suppose if one doesn't believe the Scripture to be God breathed, that He wrote Scripture by inspiring people to write what He wanted, how He wanted, in a timeless fashion that is understandable to all at all times, then it seems pointless to argue the question.

Does it really matter if Paul penned Hebrews? The facts are that it is one of the greatest books of the NT. The theology is brillant it compares the old [the law] with the new [Christ] and shows in a clear well thought out manner why the new is a better way.

One day we will all have the answer to who penned the book. I personally dont think it was Paul. He put his name on all his writings, no reason I can think of for him to depart from this. I vote for Barnabas not that my vote matters

Ge 35:18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin.
    Ge 35:24 The sons of Rachel; Joseph, and Benjamin:

01126 בן־אוני Ben-’Owniy ben-o-nee’

from 01121 and 0205; ; n pr m

AV-Benoni 1; 1

Ben-oni =" son of my sorrow"

1) the name given to Benjamin by Rachel

Ge 49:27 Benjamin shall ravin as a wolf: in the morning he shall devour the prey, and at night he shall divide the spoil.

Eze 22:27 Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.

Hab 1:8 Their horses also are swifter than the leopards, and are more fierce than the evening wolves: and their horsemen shall spread themselves, and their horsemen shall come from far; they shall fly as the eagle that hasteth to eat.

Zep 3:3 Her princes within her are roaring lions; her judges are evening wolves; they gnaw not the bones till the morrow.

Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

Mt 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves

2Co 12:16 But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile.

Da 8:25 And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.

Ro 3:7 For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?

Php 1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Col 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body’s sake, which is the church:

1Co 4:15 For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Ro 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Ga 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger (ANGEL) of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
    8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
    9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Ga 4:14 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.

Jud 2:3 Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.

Pr 22:5 Thorns and snares are in the way of the froward: he that doth keep his soul shall be far from them.

Isa 32:13 Upon the land of my people shall come up thorns and briers; yea, upon all the houses of joy in the joyous city:

Isa 33:12 And the people shall be as the burnings of lime: as thorns cut up shall they be burned in the fire.

Isa 34:13 And thorns shall come up in her palaces, nettles and brambles in the fortresses thereof: and it shall be an habitation of dragons, and a court for owls.

Job 5:5 Whose harvest the hungry eateth up, and taketh it even out of the thorns, and the robber swalloweth up their substance.

Rev.12:15 And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.

Ac 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Lu 17:27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.

Re 13:3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.

1Jo 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1Jo 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Ro 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

2Co 11:8 I robbed other churches, taking wages of them, to do you service.

Joh 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber

Job 41:1 ¶ Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? or his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?
    2 Canst thou put an hook into his nose? or bore his jaw through with a thorn?
    3 Will he make many supplications unto thee? will he speak soft words unto thee?
    4 Will he make a covenant with thee? wilt thou take him for a servant for ever?
    5 Wilt thou play with him as with a bird? or wilt thou bind him for thy maidens?
    6 Shall the companions make a banquet of him? shall they part him among the merchants?
    7 Canst thou fill his skin with barbed irons? or his head with fish spears?
    8 Lay thine hand upon him, remember the battle, do no more.
    9 Behold, the hope of him is in vain: shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?
    10 None is so fierce that dare stir him up: who then is able to stand before me?
    11 ¶ Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.
    12 I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion.
    13 Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle?
    14 Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.
    15 His scales are his pride, shut up together as with a close seal.
    16 One is so near to another, that no air can come between them.
    17 They are joined one to another, they stick together, that they cannot be sundered.
    18 By his neesings a light doth shine, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning.
    19 Out of his mouth go burning lamps, and sparks of fire leap out.
    20 Out of his nostrils goeth smoke, as out of a seething pot or caldron.
    21 His breath kindleth coals, and a flame goeth out of his mouth.
    22 In his neck remaineth strength, and sorrow is turned into joy before him.
    23 The flakes of his flesh are joined together: they are firm in themselves; they cannot be moved.
    24 His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone.
    25 When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.
    26 The sword of him that layeth at him cannot hold: the spear, the dart, nor the habergeon.
    27 He esteemeth iron as straw, and brass as rotten wood.
    28 The arrow cannot make him flee: slingstones are turned with him into stubble.
    29 Darts are counted as stubble: he laugheth at the shaking of a spear.
    30 Sharp stones are under him: he spreadeth sharp pointed things upon the mire.
    31 He maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.
    32 He maketh a path to shine after him; one would think the deep to be hoary.
    33 Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear.
    34 He beholdeth all high things: he is a king (See Rev.ch.9) over all the children of pride.

Re 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

2Co 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:
    Ga 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
    Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
    Col 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,
    1Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
    2Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Re 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Ro 16:11 Salute Herodion my kinsman. Greet them that be of the household of Narcissus, which are in the Lord.

Roms 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
    24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Are you seeing as of yet????
    Last edited by The Lowest Room; 04-25-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Da 11:31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.

Da 12:11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Mt 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Mr 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

=======================================

Acts 21:26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.
    27 ¶ And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him,
    28 Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place.
    29 (For they had seen before with him in the city Trophimus an Ephesian, whom they supposed that Paul had brought into the temple.)
    30 And all the city was moved, and the people ran together: and they took Paul, and drew him out of the temple: and forthwith the doors were shut.

Acts 20:4 And there accompanied him into Asia Sopater of Berea; and of the Thessalonians, Aristarchus and Secundus; and Gaius of Derbe, and Timotheus; and of Asia, Tychicus and Trophimus.

The Lowest Room

FYI - when you write your posts in varying sizes like you did it is impossible to read your post.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lowest Room View Post
    Da 11:31 And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.

Da 12:11 And from the time that the daily sacrifice shall be taken away, and the abomination that maketh desolate set up, there shall be a thousand two hundred and ninety days.

Mt 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

Mr 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

=======================================

Acts 21:26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

27 ¶ And when the seven days were almost ended, the Jews which were of Asia, when they saw him in the temple, stirred up all the people, and laid hands on him,

28 Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place.

29 (For they had seen before with him in the city Trophimus an Ephesian, whom they supposed that Paul had brought into the temple.)

30 And all the city was moved, and the people ran together: and they took Paul, and drew him out of the temple: and forthwith the doors were shut.

Acts 20:4 And there accompanied him into Asia Sopater of Berea; and of the Thessalonians, Aristarchus and Secundus; and Gaius of Derbe, and Timotheus; and of Asia, Tychicus and Trophimus.

And now in a font that we can all read!
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.