Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Try this cake!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    psychgirl.....Do you just use a big dollup of cool whip on top of each piece of cake to cover up the holes? I know that is a stupid question, but my mom has a similar cake recipe, and won't take it out anywhere, because of the holes in the cake! She thinks it's too ugly! LOL.....

Her recipe is to use a box of yellow or chocolate cake mix. While still warm, she pokes holes all over the top of the cake with a big wooden spoon handle, and pours her home made chocolate sauce over it. YUM!!!!! Not too pretty to look at, though!
    My mama was taught in her home ec class, way back around 1960, to poke holes like that and she makes a cooked icing that you pour warm over the cake with holes. It then sets up into a fudge like icing and you have the surprises of fudge inside the cake also.

I bet their recipes are nearly identical to each other.

In the Jello cake my mom always made, she used a meat fork to poke holes. They were much smaller, did the same thing, and were pretty much inconspicuos.

But she topped with with cool whip anyway, cause what's the point of jello cake without the coolwhip???
    It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. - Charles A. Beard

In this day and age, the only path of honor for a patriot IS to become a traitor. - Miradus
    [/SIZE]

CVORNurse.....Mom's chocolate sauce is a cooked recipe also. When you pour it over the cake, it does make the cake really moist and fudgey, but the top of the cake is bare. All you can see is a cake with holes all over the top. The sauce isn't thick enough to form any type of frosting, even when chilled. I guess she could cover the whole cake with cool whip, though. Or frost it with a chocolate frosting, but she never did. Her recipe came down thru the ages from my dad's mother and grandmother who were very poor, so not much money to work with at the time. My dad is 80, so you can imagine how old the recipe is!

Maybe psychgirl doesn't use something as large as a wooden spoon handle to make the holes in her cake? I got all the ingredients, but was wondering about the holes. I can hardly wait to try it!

I just used a regular fork and it worked fine. You couldn't see the holes at all.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Ok, thanks Belle. That's what I will use, too. Now, I can get started! I just thought that since the Eagle Brand milk was so thick, larger holes would work better.

Sherree, I poured it on while the cake was still hot - straight out of the oven, in fact. The heat thinned it enough that it could soak into the smaller holes. Also, I only poured on about 1/4 of the can at a time and spread it around, which gave it more time to soak in before I added more. The next time I grocery shop, I'll be getting the ingredients to make it a couple more times. We really liked it a lot.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Yes, Belle, that's what I have planned to do, too. Pour a small amount on at a time and smooth. I like just about anything with Eagle Brand milk, and I know I will love this cake also. Just haven't had the time to make it today, but will tomorrow!

I used a kabob skewer for the holes which makes them too small to see. But the crunchy topping covers them up anyway. Especially if you use a tad more crunchies than the recipe calls for.

Thank you, psychgirl! I have some of those skewers, and will use one of those. As usual, I bought extra crunchies for this cake. I believe that if "a little is good, a lot is even better"!

Laura19 is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Make a white cake, poke holes while hot, and pour in coconut milk and eagle sweetened condensed milk. When cool, frost with cool whip and top with shredded coconut. For Easter, I dyed the coconut green and placed some tiny jelly beans on top.

Delicious! Even better to make day before.

THE END ISN'T NEAR.........IT'S HERE

The problem is not global warming – it is moral cooling.