Thread: Is this a joke or a scam or what? Tax refund status

Default Is this a joke or a scam or what? Tax refund status

Did our taxes using FreeFillableForms; usually use TaxCut but wanted to save money. Clicked the link in my e-mail for checking refund status: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/...fgetstatus.jsp
    and got this amazing pop-up. Tried to take a screen shot but all I could get was the text, not a screen shot, of only the pop-up. It's supposed to be the genuine IRS site, but wow, it reminds me of one of those fake IE popups that scam sites try to trick you with. It wants my SS#, filing status, and exact refund amount. That makes sense as they have to identify you somehow, but I'm not entering it if it's a bogus site! It's the first two sentences that get me; the unauthorized use makes sense. Is this normal?

---------------------------
    Windows Internet Explorer
    THIS U.S. GOVERNMENT SYSTEM IS FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY!
    Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring, interception, recording, reading,
    copying or capturing by authorized personnel of all activities. There is no right to privacy in
    this system. Unauthorized use of this system is prohibited and subject to criminal and civil
    penalties, including all penalties applicable to willful unauthorized access (UNAX) or
    inspection of taxpayer records (under 18 U.S.C. 1030 and 26 U.S.C. 7213A and 26 U.S.C.
    7431).
    OK
    Last edited by hisbluelady; 04-17-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: correct an error

Quote Originally Posted by hisbluelady View Post
    Did our taxes using FreeFillableForms; usually use TaxCut but wanted to save money. Clicked the link in my e-mail for checking refund status: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/...fgetstatus.jsp
    and got this amazing pop-up. Tried to take a screen shot but all I could get was the text, not a screen shot, of only the pop-up. It's supposed to be the genuine IRS site, but wow, it reminds me of one of those fake IE popups that scam sites try to trick you with. It wants my SS#, filing status, and exact refund amount. That makes sense as they have to identify you somehow, but I'm not entering it if it's a bogus site! It's the first two sentences that get me; the unauthorized use makes sense. Is this normal?

Windows Internet Explorer
    THIS U.S. GOVERNMENT SYSTEM IS FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY!
    Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring, interception, recording, reading,
    copying or capturing by authorized personnel of all activities. There is no right to privacy in
    this system. Unauthorized use of this system is prohibited and subject to criminal and civil
    penalties, including all penalties applicable to willful unauthorized access (UNAX) or
    inspection of taxpayer records (under 18 U.S.C. 1030 and 26 U.S.C. 7213A and 26 U.S.C.
    7431).
    OK
    Not a joke or a hoax.

Got the same window when I filed in February, and got my modest refund four days later. Even when many others were getting told their refunds were being delayed (and I was among them too).
    Many's the time I've been mistaken, And many times confused;
    Yes, and I've often felt forsaken, And certainly misused .... ~ Paul Simon, "American Tune"

One can only play with your mind if you allow them to. ~ dilligaf

YOUR DUTY IS TO FIND THE TRUTH IN EACH TOPIC.
    Stand and discuss the matter to the fullest extent
    ~ HouseWolf

Glad I'm not the only one; clicked on it and they estimate May 1, but I just filed it Thursday so that's not bad. State takes longer to accept. Just can't believe they actually said "There is no right to privacy in this system." Is that just the e-file, or the whole IRS system? I think next year I'll do taxes earlier & mail them!

Sooner or later, we're all going to use a service that in the fine print authorizes them to collect our data and keep an eye on us.

Like this example, we probably won't think anything of it at the time...or maybe we won't even notice it.

But when the time comes that we're being hauled into court or worse over something we've written on our computer, we won't have a leg to stand on because we've authorized them to have access to our computer.

Just use Turbo Tax next year and don't be a cheap-skate.

Yes this pop-up was a scam... and never, ever put your SSN number or personal data into such a thing.

Even when I am done printing out my returns on Turbo--and have them mailed away.... I delete the SSN's on the file, so that even if someone steals my computer or hacks my system, they don't have that info.

ST

Exclamation

I call (Land line - home telephone.) the authentic IRS 800 Number that is on the current IRS instruction book to find out the status of my refund.

The local and nightly news (OTA reception not dish or cable.) had more coverage about all of the ID THEFT that is tied into the IRS Tax Refund mess. I think that the coverage of this IRS mess with refunds is growing and we will find out more in the near future. The ID thefts are increasing big time!

My brother in law told me that his accountant got some Official IRS Mail regarding my sister's so called 'refund'. They had not even filed yet this year - they always file an extension. Plus they always file MFJ and his name was not on the paperwork to the accountant.

FL and other states have been reporting this story big time. One of our own posters here mentioned about a tax refund delay not that long ago on here. There were stories all over the news about thefts and the IRS getting a LOT of paperwork that they supposedly were not prepared to handle. Some said that there was not enough money in the fund too! I posted on that thread too. I went to the main IRS website that led to their version of the story. On the WWWeb if you did an internet search it led other links all over the place.

My sister and her husband live in FL. The IRS refuses to give the details, all of them, to the VICTIM (Her!) and/or to the accountant so far. They have to go through more crapola even though the supposed tax refund was already sent to the ID THIEF. So they have to go through the entire deal of going through the system with the ID THEFT with the IRS and all over the place.

On top of that, FL news has been telling FL residents that THIEVES have been collecting (Selling too.) personal data from patients in hospitals and clinics! Well, she was IN the hospital more than her husband.

It is a royal mess!

Catherine
    Account Closed

PS:

I don't trust data mining companies either.

They are just as bad as the thieves in the past (Present too!) who have stolen DMV information and printed up false driver licenses and ID cards. This was all over the news ten plus years ago in many southwestern states not just back East or in the Midwest.

Many of these thieves are working on the INSIDE of these places (Government agencies and non government companies.) not just insurance processing folks who handle claims where they had access to and stole hospital patient information.

Catherine
    Account Closed