Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Fallacy of Bugging Out

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    I've lived (too early) on two separate, remote, well stocked BOL's, and for years thought that I needed to make it back to something similar. I may be wrong, but as I watch things unfold, I am beginning to think that ideal remote locations will be easily identified, and taken relatively easily specifically because of their remoteness, should TPTB so choose. In my opinion, government is the real threat over the long haul.

So, let me get this straight. Amidst a societal collapse, when chaos is reigning in the streets of metropolitan and bedroom communities, the govt is going out to suppress the threat in the backwoods?

I can just see it. "Sir, Boise is in complete shambles, but we have contained that fella who has the shack in the middle of nowhere of Clearwater Mountains. Mission accomplished."

Really? C'mon.

What i like about my location is that it is far removed, and is of little value. The "Golden Horde" is not going to make it out here. Not without gasoline that is. There is no reason to send the military out here either. Using the military to resume control and order will be confined to population centers, because that's where power resides. Distance and relative remoteness is my ally, and will forever be a more viable defensive measure than a fortified rumpus room in the exoburbs.

Drugs are the biggest problem out in the sticks today, especially meth.

And meth creates the most dangerous and unpredictable animal imaginable.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

I ain't bugging out. I will stand my ground for as long as I can hold out. If I were to leave, I had better know it is forever. If I leave my home when SHTF, I know it will then be unprotected and I can never return because it will have been ransacked, looted and probably destroyed. That said, I have provisions and the ability to withstand some assaults. I hope I don't have to put it to the test....
    When all else fails, I just ask Ms. Oldschool. She knows........

WIFE is that friendly person and fellow partner that is always with you, to help solve all the problems you wouldn't have if you were single.

Quote Originally Posted by chicom View Post
    So, let me get this straight. Amidst a societal collapse, when chaos is reigning in the streets of metropolitan and bedroom communities, the govt is going out to suppress the threat in the backwoods?

I can just see it. "Sir, Boise is in complete shambles, but we have contained that fella who has the shack in the middle of nowhere of Clearwater Mountains. Mission accomplished."

Really? C'mon.

What i like about my location is that it is far removed, and is of little value. The "Golden Horde" is not going to make it out here.
    Because my SHTF worldview is taken from a scriptural perspective, we most likely see "collapse" and the reasons for it much differently. On a personal, practical level, it won't be about you and your land at all, it will be about freedom, real or perceived. It will be about global enslavement, and the symbolic power of those known to be living well and free in remote locations off the land and their preps, having seemingly risen above all that is going on elsewhere because of their foresight. Like Drago told Rocky, "I must break you". Rocky didn't matter at all, it was the symbolism that was so important.

The shambles of the inner cities will take care of itself in the eyes of those seeking to establish order out of chaos. I seriously doubt that there will be any sense of urgency about "conquering" those within the cities, but I'd bet everything I've got that one at a time, visible, well stocked and maintained self sufficient homesteads become high priority.

30 some years ago I went to Israel, and as part of the trip went to Masada. It doesn't get any more remote than that, but Rome was obsessed with crushing the zealots who were up there. Josephus said there were 960 of them, modern day archeologists are now saying that it may have been as few as 50 or less, which would emphasize Rome's obsession with them all the more. Either way, containing the inner cities of the time was nothing more than routine, day to day work for the Roman soldiers. Masada on the other hand, became something akin to priority one. It wasn't the people or the land that mattered, out in the middle of nowhere (far removed, as you put it), it was the symbolism.

Standing on top of Masada and knowing it's story, I understood in full satan's hatred of freedom in general and free men and women in particular, and the extents to which he could drive humans to stamp that out. This time around will be no different, and today's technology makes remote hideaways every bit as easy a target as anything or anyone in the suburbs or inner city. Distance is simply not a factor in today's world, especially to a military running on someone else's dime.

I'm also aware that God may well have placed me where I am for reasons that He will make clear as needed. I'm not trying to live forever, just trying to do whatever it is I'm supposed to do. The Ten Boom's inner city WWII story, as told in The Hiding Place, is a case study on being in God's right place at His right time. Though it cost them dearly in this life, the fruit borne out of their efforts and obedience will be eternal.
    "We have to rebuild in a way that you will not be victimized by a similar storm again, because we don't - we're just wasting money, and we're essentially engaging in false advertising that what we're doing is restoring you to your situation that existed before the storm.”

Joe Biden

When I first moved here we made bug out plans. Too much has happened since them and I'm physically unable to bug out. So here I will set and hope for the best.

I really don't worry about myself. They will have to kill me because they aren't taking me away to a place of their choice.

I do worry about DD still in her prime. She will not bug out either, her choice and not because of my limitations. She never liked the bug out idea.

As far as the hordes, if they make it to here I'd be surprised. Most will be heading for .gov help.

DS is another problem. He is in a major city with 3 small kids. He came from a prepping family but married into a 'it will never happen' family. They may be able to get to the mtn house with her family but there are no longer any provisions there as her family just doesn't get it and doesn't want to get it.

On one visit I was surprised how far he has fallen into their lifestyle and abandoned all common sense preps. They couldn't even raise $25 in cash between them if they had to.

Standing on top of Masada and knowing it's story, I understood in full satan's hatred of freedom in general and free men and women in particular, and the extents to which he could drive humans to stamp that out. This time around will be no different, and today's technology makes remote hideaways every bit as easy a target as anything or anyone in the suburbs or inner city. Distance is simply not a factor in today's world, especially to a military running on someone else's dime.
    But even possibly the military will collapse along with the rest of society. If such is the case, there won't be other people's dimes to work off of.

Masada? Well I'm not going to fortify myself just to commit suicide when my defenses are about to be breached like the Sicarii. That's a sin.

Besides that was a war where the Sicarri were known antagonists to the Romans. They were the insurgents fighting a guerrilla war.

I am unknown. If I were to engage in such activities, I sure as hell wouldn't be holed up in one place and await to be enveloped. Static warfare equals death.

Regarding Masada---the first rule of survival, stay away from crowds.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. ...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    C.S. Lewis

Lightbulb Plans A thru E

Plan A for when TSHTF I suppose I will be away from home and I need to get home. Whe I get there we will assess the situation and decide if we need to implement other plans or use the preparations we have at home and stay put.
    Plan B is to take our Travel Trailer along side streets after getting through the pass and making our way to my sisters place 240 miles north.
    Plan C is to leave the trailer and head north in our 4X4 truck.
    Plan D is to leave the 4X4truck and take the car north
    Plan E is to grab the backpacks and walk into the woods and live like the Indians did for hundred of years (using my military and boy scout training for survival).
    • Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God”
    The Apostle Paul told us to not worry about anything.
    What should we do instead of worrying?
    1. Pray for what you need as well as for what you want.
    2. Tell God that you are thankful for what he has already given you.
    3. Request from God everything you need for the day, every day.
    Libertatem a Calumnia (Freedom from Oppression)

Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
    Average, everyday survival isn't very glamorous, sexy or exciting. Believe me, I live it. Survival is mostly about hard work, getting dirty and sweaty.
    Yes! Wise words.

I'll add -- . . . AND FAILURE

Only in movies does Murphy's Law seem not to apply. In the real world, for every jury-rigged solution to a problem, it seems like 2 - 3 more lie in wait, waiting for just the wrong time to break or cease operation.

People who can't calmly think through problems under stress will add that additional level of challenge to their situation.

Because my SHTF worldview is taken from a scriptural perspective, we most likely see "collapse" and the reasons for it much differently. On a personal, practical level, it won't be about you and your land at all, it will be about freedom, real or perceived. It will be about global enslavement, and the symbolic power of those known to be living well and free in remote locations off the land and their preps, having seemingly risen above all that is going on elsewhere because of their foresight. Like Drago told Rocky, "I must break you". Rocky didn't matter at all, it was the symbolism that was so important.

The shambles of the inner cities will take care of itself in the eyes of those seeking to establish order out of chaos. I seriously doubt that there will be any sense of urgency about "conquering" those within the cities, but I'd bet everything I've got that one at a time, visible, well stocked and maintained self sufficient homesteads become high priority.

30 some years ago I went to Israel, and as part of the trip went to Masada. It doesn't get any more remote than that, but Rome was obsessed with crushing the zealots who were up there. Josephus said there were 960 of them, modern day archeologists are now saying that it may have been as few as 50 or less, which would emphasize Rome's obsession with them all the more. Either way, containing the inner cities of the time was nothing more than routine, day to day work for the Roman soldiers. Masada on the other hand, became something akin to priority one. It wasn't the people or the land that mattered, out in the middle of nowhere (far removed, as you put it), it was the symbolism.

I'm also aware that God may well have placed me where I am for reasons that He will make clear as needed. I'm not trying to live forever, just trying to do whatever it is I'm supposed to do. The Ten Boom's inner city WWII story, as told in The Hiding Place, is a case study on being in God's right place at His right time. Though it cost them dearly in this life, the fruit borne out of their efforts and obedience will be eternal.
    Um......yeah.....what Mark said......

And very well said indeed.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler