Thread: Cake from dried apples

Default Cake from dried apples

I have some dried apples and would like to make an apple cake. Does anyone have recipe or suggestions? The apples are delicious.

Default apple stack cake

http://community.berea.edu/appalachi...04/memoir.html

I have an apple coffee cake recipe made in cast iron skillet that's very good and simple. Will try and find it. MM

Default Dried apple cake recipe

That was a wonderful article. My parents were raised in NC and that is how she made apple filling. I never learned from her so I will treasure this. If you find the recipe made in a skillet, I would love to try that too. Thanks so much.

Another suggestion might be to rehydrate some and use them in this...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pinto-bean-cake/

We love this-my 20 yo son even asked for it for his b'day this year. I don't make it quite according to the recipe (no raisins, add another cup of apples, and my spices only run to cinnamon and nutmeg...no cloves or allspice). Still comes out great and always, always surprises people with the *hidden* ingredient.

Oh, and I use 1/2 brown, 1/2 white sugar and I've never frosted it. Did once do a simple confectioner's glaze but it really doesn't need it :)

Default Pinto bean cake

I have never heard of a pinto bean cake. I love the recipe. I will be making it soon. I always have left over dried beans. Do you know the ratio of dried apples to raw? If I rehydrate the apples, is one cup rehydrated equal to one cup raw?

Last fall was my first year to dehydrate and I am loving the apples.

I had never heard of one either but my husband was giving me flack when I first started buying/storing beans and one day had the audacity to say they'd never get used....I decided I'd find new recipes to get that done! :D
    Not really sure on the rehydrated=raw? This is a very thick batter, I would think one to one would be fine, maybe ask on the general Kitchen board ?
    Just a tip...I cook the beans for hours just continuing to add water to get them really soft. It still takes a bit to smush them finely but for a cake that tastes great, is a source of protein and fiber and not too bad on the sugar side it's definitely worth it :)