I have come up with a cheap and convenient water storage method that I thought I’d share.
I have been using BIBs, that stands for Bag In a Box, they are used by pretty much any place that sells fountain drinks, Restaurants, Mini Marts, Theatres, all use these things. After they are empty they are tossed in the trash, so a deal to take the empties off the hands of these businesses is easy. The boxes come in 5 gal. & 2.5 gal. sizes, inside the box is a plastic bag used to hold the soda pop syrup. In the center of the spout is a valve that allows water in/out and seals tight so there is no leaking. The bags themselves are extremely strong , and besides being great for holding water I have also used them as air pillows while camping and floatation devices out on the river. First I take out the bag and hold down the valve while filling with a bit of hot water to rinse out the remainder of the syrup, shake it around drain and repeat, then fill with water. Then I open one side of the box, slide the full bag in and duct tape it back up. They stack nicely and take up a lot less room than 2 liter bottles (one of the 5 gal. boxes is equal to 9 ½ 2 liter bottles). The only downside is the slight taste of whatever soda was in the box. A while back I got a female connector from a Coke repairman and that has made filling the bags 100% easier, but it’s not necessary.
Hope someone else can find this useful.

The boxes

The Bag

Bag Valve

Full Bag

Bag Back In Box

And Duct Taped Up