Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Pigs eggs...

Default Feeding Pigs eggs...

Our chickens are giving tons of eggs right now, 2 or 3 dozen a day. We aren't selling many, and I probably have 10 dozen or so in the fridge, in spite of eating them on the weekends and at least one night a week, and keeping 2 or 3 other families supplied in eggs. I am wanting to feed some of the excess to the pigs and was wondering if I need to cook them first. If I do, scrambled or boiled and do I need to peel if I boil them?

DD#2 is raising chicks for a 4H project, we have 25 more hens that are 4 weeks old. And a broody hen and turkey hen. So the problem isn't going away anytime soon.

On a positive note, I really need to post pictures of the 2 pigs. These are the ones we got at 2 weeks old and I asked for advice on feeding them. The smaller one has caught up to her sister and is slightly larger now. She likes to drink water straight out of the hose when we are giving them fresh water.

I would think hard boiling the eggs would be less "messy" in their trough and no need to peel them either. Piggys eat anything and digest most everything very well is my impresison.

I agree with goatlady. Also you can save some store bought feed and give you chickens hard boiled eggs, they love them. Just make sure to crumble them up a bit so the shells don't look like.....well...shells.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, Aug. 19, 1785

You can feed them eggs however you want...I have taken cracked eggs and just threw them in the pig trough so that they broke and they gobble it up. We feed our pigs everything under the sun.
    Living the dream, just living the dream!

I'm with just living.... I just tossed raw eggs in with their slop... if they don't break, believe me, hogs figure out how to break them with no problem.

Raw egg white can bind biotin (a B vitamin), but a dozen or so a day to 2 hogs isn't going to hurt, especially if they're getting any grain (a good source of B vitamins)

I only scramble eggs for dogs and puppies.

Summerthyme

Thanks so much guys. I appreciate the advice, DH and I had a discussion on this and he thought we would have to peel the eggs before feeding them. Think I will boil up a couple dozen and give them some each day.

I have saved my shells before and fed them back to the chickens, but I have never fed them eggs, thanks for the tip.

I was giving raw eggs to our pigs, it seemed that they would take it in their mouth, back away from the trough and bite down, so half or more of the liquid shot out of their mouth and soaked into the muck.

I dont think they mind, but I do.

So now I boil them first.

Each day I soak our eggs in water and wipe them off. After they dry I candle them. Any cracked eggs I put into a pot and boil, so I have boiled eggs ready for the next day.

:)

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Could you get a small local grocer or market to sell them and split the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Beekeeper View Post
    I was giving raw eggs to our pigs, it seemed that they would take it in their mouth, back away from the trough and bite down, so half or more of the liquid shot out of their mouth and soaked into the muck.

I dont think they mind, but I do.

So now I boil them first.

Each day I soak our eggs in water and wipe them off. After they dry I candle them. Any cracked eggs I put into a pot and boil, so I have boiled eggs ready for the next day.

:)
    Why do you soak them in water?

When my family ran a restaurant, we would boil several days worth of eggs at once for the chef's salads. If I am not mistaken, they will keep refrigerated for a week after you boil them. Maybe longer, but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Could you get a small local grocer or market to sell them and split the price?
    We don't really have any small grocery stores around, mostly chain type stores. Then since they haven't been inspected and given a government ok, I doubt anyone would be allowed to use them.