Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobb or Cornish Giant?

Default Cobb or Cornish Giant?

If you had to choose between Cobbs or Miller's Cornish Giants to raise for broilers, which would it be and why?

Are those hatcheries or breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Are those hatcheries or breeds?

"what are chicken breeds for $500 Alex?"

okie dokie maybe it's time to go mow the lawn!
    • 的 am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Yeah, I think you probably ought to get busy doing something else (or else maybe do a little research before you toss out answers without a clue)... I believe he's asking which hatchery's birds to buy.

But not having dealt with either one, I can't say. I can say the prices at Millers are nearly absurd...

They want $1.72 - $1.95 EACH for straight run CornishX, PLUS shipping? EEEK!

My straight run CornishX from Welp hatchery were $1.30 each (granted, I did buy 100) and that included shipping.

I'll be honest and say that I've raised CornishX from several hatcheries over the years (McMurray, Welps, Meyer and Cackle) and the ONLY one I'd never deal with again was Meyer. The birds themselves are generally pretty darned similar, although I have noticed that Welp's strain tends to stay sound- not get crippled- even to VERY large sizes. Since I like to be able to raise a few roasters to 11# or so, I stick with Welps.

Apparently you're in Canada? That probably gives you limited choices, but you should get acceptable birds from any Canadian hatchery

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Yeah, I think you probably ought to get busy doing something else (or else maybe do a little research before you toss out answers without a clue)... I believe he's asking which hatchery's birds to buy.
    Summerthyme
    Just having some fun!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/products/cornish-cross

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/59...h-cross-chicks

info about cobb/hubbard cornish cross chickens

Joan of Arc

Cobb/Ross Chicken Breed info - these are a used by the fast food industry

http://www.mapuacountrytrading.co.nz...ckenBreed.html

Modern commercial poultry production for supermarkets and use in the fast food and restaurant industry relies heavily on two types of white feathered breeds of chicken the Cobb and the Ross or Ross Cobb.

More info here as well: http://www.chickens-and-chicken-eggs...ry-breeds.html

THE COBB OR BLUE FOOT CHICKEN

The Cobb or Blue Foot chicken is an American variety of the French Pullet de Breese breed. It does resemble other chicken breeds, however, the Cobb Chicken has a red comb and white feathers and steel-blue feet. Usually, these Cobb Chickens are slaughtered later than most of their cousin chickens and their feet can be left on for unique presentation. The price of a Cobb can be ten times higher than other poultry breeds and you can get this chicken breed with the head and feet intact. The existence of the Cobb has been credited to Peter Thiessen and Bob Shipley and their breeding techniques used in the late 1980’s.

Joan of Arc

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    If you had to choose between Cobbs or Miller's Cornish Giants to raise for broilers, which would it be and why?

Are you looking for a hatchery or a broiler breed?

If your looking for a meat laying breed in doing some reading on the two you listed above over at Backyardchicken.com it looks like you just need to decide if you are more interested in dark meat (Cobb) or breast meat (Cornish Giants)

K-

Joan of Arc

I'm looking for a broiler breed and, yes, I am in Canada. From my location my choices are from a nearby hatchery or order from a feed supply store.

The hatchery sells Cobbs for meat chickens and the feed supply store brings in Cornish Giants (they call them Miller's Cornish Giants, which I believe is a specific breed as they are from a hatchery the next province over). This is our first year processing our own chickens and we wanted to get some feedback about the breeds.

The Cobbs are $1.20 per chick, but the hatchery is a two-hour drive one way. The Cornish Giants I can get in town, but are $2.43 per chick (no shipping). Considering gas to get to the hatchery, the costs would be comparable.

If it is true that Cobbs give more dark meat and Cornish Giants give more white, that helps with the decision a little (on my side, better-half will probably disagree!).

Quote Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
    I'm looking for a broiler breed and, yes, I am in Canada. From my location my choices are from a nearby hatchery or order from a feed supply store.

The hatchery sells Cobbs for meat chickens and the feed supply store brings in Cornish Giants (they call them Miller's Cornish Giants, which I believe is a specific breed as they are from a hatchery the next province over). This is our first year processing our own chickens and we wanted to get some feedback about the breeds.

The Cobbs are $1.20 per chick, but the hatchery is a two-hour drive one way. The Cornish Giants I can get in town, but are $2.43 per chick (no shipping). Considering gas to get to the hatchery, the costs would be comparable.

If it is true that Cobbs give more dark meat and Cornish Giants give more white, that helps with the decision a little (on my side, better-half will probably disagree!).
    I thought it interesting in doing some research, which kept landing me at backyardchickens.com (great site btw) that there was not ONLY a hatchery called Miller's but a breed called Miller's Cornish Giants!

I'd go over to backyardchickens.com and do a search, lots of Canadians over there (found that in my search as well) they might know quite a bit about the hatchery you are thinking about visiting.

Me I was raised with chickens and am currently chickenless, but am dreaming of some day soon having chickens once again!

You could always do an order of half and half that way you'll both be happy!

K-
    Last edited by packyderms_wife; 05-04-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Joan of Arc