Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Get The Coldest Air From A Window Air Conditioner

Keeping the filter clean is #1. Secondary fans, as mentioned before, also help. Ceiling fans should be set to pull air up in the summer, and push it down in the winter.

If its new, it should have a recirculate option, use it.

Keeping windows covered will also help.
    We must get rid of guns because a deranged lunatic with a gun could go on a shooting spree at any time, and anyone who carries a gun out of concern that this may occur is probably a paranoid schizophrenic.

Quote Originally Posted by tsimitpo View Post
    It's all a matter of what you're used to.
    Exactly right. I've lived in all kinds of climates. Summer in Fresno and Bakersfield as a kid never phased me. Summer in Singapore as an adult took some getting used to, but became comfortable eventually.

Now I am back in one of the chillier parts of the PNW. It hit 68 degrees yesterday and I felt uncomfortably hot in full sun. Of course, 68 degrees is likely to be one of the hottest days of the year. It was 76 degrees in the house and felt quite oppressive before the evening fog rolled in - if I'd had an air conditioner, I would have turned it on.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
    When you say the highest the thermostat will go, do you mean the coldest? We have several window units and two of them are digital thermostats, so you have to set a specific temp, but the other two are older.
    hi StellaBlue. Yes, i mean the Coldest Setting. If say #9 is the coldest setting then place it on #9. And always keep the fan speed set on LOW speed. I have seen digital thermostats and they go down to (60*). When the rooms are cool enough, i would set the thermostat say like to #7 and a digital thermostat at (65*) or simply go by a thermometer inside your house. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tsimitpo View Post
    The only time it gets "hot" in the Pacific Northwest is when off-shore air flow (nature's A/C) is slowed down by a high pressure system for a few days.

I grew up here so I remember how it took almost a year to get acclimated to a climate where daily highs of 100+ happen nearly all summer long. In those climates, 85 feels extremely comfortable and 75 feels downright cold. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

Now that I'm back in the Seattle area (since '89) where 65 and sunny feels almost like summer, it's easy to understand why a Seattle-ite wears shorts when it's 60 and someone from Fresno wears a jacket until it's 75.

Thanks for the tip on the A/C settings. You would think the manufacturers would know this stuff and apply the settings accordingly.
    hi tsimitpo. Your very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    I told my daughter about the OP and she tried it. Her new a/c was just cooling one bedroom before (with the fan on high) and now it's cooling the whole trailer. She was even able to turn it down to the energy saver setting. She is thrilled! Thank you for posting it, SC!
    So i am thinking "before" your daughter had her air conditioner set on high (the coldest setting) with the fan speed set on high. "Now" she has the air conditioner fan speed set on low and the thermostat set maybe to 6 (Energy saver settings). I am so please that now her whole trailer is keeping nice and very cool. This will be very helpful when it really gets hot this Summer.

Just place the thermostat to high - the coldest setting and always use the fan speed set on LOW and it really is amazing how nice and very cool your place gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Cobra1 View Post
    hi StellaBlue. Yes, i mean the Coldest Setting. If say #9 is the coldest setting then place it on #9. And always keep the fan speed set on LOW speed. I have seen digital thermostats and they go down to (60*). When the rooms are cool enough, i would set the thermostat say like to #7 and a digital thermostat at (65*) or simply go by a thermometer inside your house. I hope this helps.
    I tried it last night with the bedroom unit, fan on low, temp at 69, and it was awesome! We like it cold for sleeping, and it did seem to work much better than before. Thank you!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
    I tried it last night with the bedroom unit, fan on low, temp at 69, and it was awesome! We like it cold for sleeping, and it did seem to work much better than before. Thank you!!!
    hi StellaBlue. This is great news to hear. You are very welcome.
    Last edited by Sleeping Cobra1; 05-17-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Default Just A Thought

How To Get The Coldest Air From A Window Air Conditioner

Try This:

1) After plugging the air conditioner in, set the thermostat to say 72*.

2) Now set the fan speed on LOW and keep the fan speed on LOW. Then after awhile adjust thermostat accordingly - to how cool you want your place.

3) Now enjoy the very nice cool air all Summer long.

4) Spread the word on how this is done by the above directions so everyone knows.

Always run your Window Air Conditioner on LOW Fan Speed
    Last edited by Sleeping Cobra1; 05-17-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Most central units only have auto/manual for the fan settings.

Some do have multi speed motors on the blower, but I don't advise changing them as this can change the freon pressures & such.

Making sure the evaporator and condenser coils are clean will do you as much good as anything.

I have installed a couple of mini-split systems in the Millwright cave....will give a report when they have run awhile.
    .........against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Air Conditioners are becoming more and more energy efficient but even an older air conditioner will keep your place nice and very cool all Summer long and still save energy using the LOW fan speed - blowing the coldest air from your Window Air Conditioner.