Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: How To Get The Coldest Air From A Window Air Conditioner

If you feel like living on the exciting side run some propane through a dryer and fill the ac compressor with it instead of freon.

Saw it firsthand and it seemed like the air was close to freezing

I am not recommending anyone actually do this.
    The truth of all predictions is always in your hands.

Even if the days are in the 90's, during the over night hours it "cools down" and mainly the fan runs circulating the cooler air. What saves money is when the compressor runs less often yet still keeping your place nice and cool.

Default Window-Mounted Air Conditioners Save Energy

Window-mounted air conditioners (also called room air conditioners) aren’t particularly efficient; the best available models have an EER of about 10 or 11. Central air conditioners (also called whole-house air conditioners or split-system air conditioners) are significantly more efficient; it’s possible to buy one with an EER of 14 or even 15.

So if you care about energy efficiency, you should use a central air conditioner, not a window air conditioner — right? Well, not necessarily.

Air conditioners use a lot of electricity

According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, the electricity used for home air conditioning represents almost 5% of all the electricity produced in the U.S. So if you are going to air condition your house, it would appear to make sense to buy the most efficient unit you can find.

There are two metrics used to rate the efficiency of central air conditioners: the Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) and the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER). The unit for both metrics is Btu/W•h.

Please Read More Here: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...rs-save-energy

EER does matter but a central air has duct losses, especially if the ducts are in attic. A window AC is essentially a zone ac unit and can do a fairly good job as there are no duct loss associated with it. Also, a central air in the sun and a window unit in the shade will make a big difference on power consumption btu for btu output. Ive also tested a window unit with a power meter and find that an energy star 5000 btu unit draws 50 watts less when fan is on low compared to high.

Default Major West US Heat Wave in the Making

June 27, 2013; 1:08 PM

Temperatures will be at full throttle later this week over the interior West, reaching dangerous levels, challenging records and elevating the wildfire threat.

While many folks over the interior West are accustomed to and expect hot weather during the summer the developing pattern will take the heat to the extreme. In some cities record highs for any date throughout the year could be equaled or breached.

The weather this week will favor an expanding area of sunshine and building heat over the West. As temperatures soar to record-challenging levels, dry fuel and the potential for spotty dry thunderstorms will push the wildfire threat to new areas and raise the risk in other locations.

More: http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...ather/14619950

Quote Originally Posted by dissimulo View Post
    Exactly right. I've lived in all kinds of climates. Summer in Fresno and Bakersfield as a kid never phased me. Summer in Singapore as an adult took some getting used to, but became comfortable eventually.

Now I am back in one of the chillier parts of the PNW. It hit 68 degrees yesterday and I felt uncomfortably hot in full sun. Of course, 68 degrees is likely to be one of the hottest days of the year. It was 76 degrees in the house and felt quite oppressive before the evening fog rolled in - if I'd had an air conditioner, I would have turned it on.

no offense please, but tonight the low down here in the swamps will çool' all the way down to 79 and the high tomorrow is 94, humidity 90%. That, boys and girls, is how we do it in the Atchafalaya Basin! Mais it's not that nice dry, baking Texas heat, but it will drain you pretty quick! Prep and pray, the end has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by CRT View Post
    EER does matter but a central air has duct losses, especially if the ducts are in attic. A window AC is essentially a zone ac unit and can do a fairly good job as there are no duct loss associated with it. Also, a central air in the sun and a window unit in the shade will make a big difference on power consumption btu for btu output. Ive also tested a window unit with a power meter and find that an energy star 5000 btu unit draws 50 watts less when fan is on low compared to high.
    I agree that window AC units can act as a zoning system. I also agree that you do not have the duct losses. However, air losses around a window AC are very significant. Making your house air tight saves considerably more money than insulating a house does.

How many people do you know that seal the window air conditioner correctly.

Have you ever taken one apart? There are usually big gaps around the refrigerant lines, electrical connections and edges. I know people always try and figure out how the bugs get in through their window unit, even after they tightly seal the unit to the window. That's because the bugs come right trough the unit.

Second item: How effectively can you clean the evaporator coil on a window unit? Its pretty tough, and the cheap plastic filter does not block much either. You start losing efficiency almost the minute it first runs.

mini-split units are the most efficient hands down, but who wants to but those fan-coil units in their living room.

Question Just Wanting To Know

Is anyone else using Low Fan Speed and how is it working for you?

I guess with Portable Air Conditioners Low Fan Speed works great too.

tried twice and didn't work here in lafitte, la