George Washington Carver was born a slave. When slavery was abolished, his master adopted him and his brother, raising them as their own children and teaching them to read and write. George grew up to become a great scientist, who reputedly discovered three hundred uses for peanuts and hundreds more for soybeans, pecans and sweet potatoes. Thomas Edison at one point offered Carver a $100,000 salary if he would move to New Jersey and work with him, but Carver turned down the offer, preferring to continue his work at Tuskegee Institute. George Washington Carver always gave God credit for the great things he accomplished. Here are some quotations from George Washington Carver:

When I was young, I said to God, "God, tell me the mystery of the universe." But God answered, "That knowledge is reserved for me alone." So I said, "God, tell me the mystery of the peanut." Then God said, "Well George, that's more nearly your size." And he told me.
- George Washington Carver | Right Quotes
Add to Favorite List

Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses.
- George Washington Carver | Failures and Mistakes Quotes
Add to Favorite List

Anything will give up its secrets if you love it enough. Not only have I found that when I talk to the little flower or to the little peanut they will give up their secrets, but I have found that when I silently commune with people they give up their secrets also - if you love them enough.
- George Washington Carver | Lighten up Quotes
Add to Favorite List

All my life I have risen regularly at four o'clock and have gone into the woods and talked to God. There He gives me my orders for the day.
- George Washington Carver | Spirituality Quotes
Add to Favorite List

There is literally nothing that I ever asked to do, that I asked the blessed Creator to help me to do, that I have not been able to accomplish.
- George Washington Carver | Spirituality Quotes

I never have to grope for methods. The method is revealed at the moment I am inspired to create something new... Without God to draw aside the curtain I would be helpless.