Thread: Quick Student/New cooks Recipes-Basic tomato Sauce base

Default Quick Student/New cooks Recipes-Basic tomato Sauce base

Someone on another forum started a thread for student recipes which I think can be expanded to new cooks in general. The number of younger people (below 35) in our group of friends that have asked me to show them how to do basic cooking is amazing and home cooking lasted longer in Ireland than in the US.

Here's what I added to the other thread, included here -feel free to copy and pass on, just keep my name on it (lol) either as Melodi or Disaster Cat...Of course anything canned (like beans) can be done with dry beans, but since the object was fast and easy, I used canned.

Melodi's Tomato Anything-Sauce base
    (a college friend said this should be posted on every student fridge so here it is)

For pennies you can make a much better sauce than you can buy per-made in the shop and you can put in it exactly what you want. You can even buy a couple of jars of pre-made pasta sauce first, then wash out the jars and keep them to put your own sauce in.

Basic Sauce
    1 can tomato paste (called puree on this side of the water)
    1 to 4 cans of water (1 can is very thick/4 very thin, use the SAME can you used for paste to measure your water)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp garlic
    1/8 tsp (or pinch) sugar
    1 tsp vinegar or wine

For pizza sauce - use only one can full of water and add:
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp basil
    1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    Or just add a couple of tsp of Italian spice mix (even dry Italian dressing mix)

To use, spread on a pre-made (or home made) pizza base and add cheese and other toppings - cook at 400/200 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes.

For pasta sauce:
    Use 3 to 4 cans of water
    Add Italian herb mix - (oregano, basil, extra garlic, red pepper flakes etc) or use commercial mix
    You can also choose to add:
    a chopped onion (or 1 tsp onion powder), browned hamburger meat, ham, sausages, hot dogs etc.
    Heat through and pour on your cooked pasta and/or throw in some macaroni and eat as a single dish

Mexican Sauce (I make this all the time)
    Use 2 cans water (3 for runny taco sauce)
    Add to master recipe:
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/4 to 2 tsp chili powder (go from very mild to OMG, personal taste)
    1 tsp Mexican oregano (use regular if that's what you've got
    1/2 tsp (optional cilantro - I usually leave it out)
    Or - student version - Ignore the above and add a packet of Mexican spice mix (like taco mix or dried enchilada mix etc).

I've had desperate military folk from the US Southwest call and beg me for the recipe for the above after a visit and most people can't believe how simple it is.

You can of course add cans of green chilies and other fun things but the basic sauce as is can be used many things.

For an "Indian" version of this basic sauce just add curry powder instead of the chili/Mexican spices, but include a pinch of chili powder if you want it hot.

Quick recipes with the sauces:

Pizza bread/toast: used pizza sauce on bread instead of pizza base - top with cheese and put under broiler or in oven until melted (I lived on a version of this in college)

Pasta Bake - Staple of UK students and young workers throughout the Isles (and Ireland) - cook up any pasta (but macaroni or shells work best). Add Italian Pasta or Mexican Sauce to Pasta in an Oven proof dish - top with cheese and bake at about 350/170 for 45 min to 1 hour

Easy chili -
    1 recipe Mexican Sauce (you can make this ahead and keep in fridge for a month)
    1 to 2 cans Kidney/Pinto/Black or other beans (just not green beans)
    A bit of extra water or beer if needed
    1 can green chilies (optional)
    Browned Hamburger (optional)

Put everything in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour (will taste better with longer cooking)
    Vegetarian version is improved with can of corn or hominy

Uses for Quick Chili
    Fill flour tortillas for a quick snack

Fill flour tortillas with chili and cheese, cover with salsa put in oven proof dish and heat for 20 minutes, serve with rice

Wrap Chili in flour tortillas burrito style and heat in oven for burritos and/or deep fry for chimicungas (use toothpicks to hold it together if deep frying)

Spaghetti with chili (one of my college favorites) boil up a lot of spaghetti for a number of hungry people, heat up or prepare quick chili, top each plate of pasta with quick chili and add cheese - eat!

Indian/Mexican or Italian lentils (or chickpeas)
    Dried lentils are easy as they do not need soaking, so can be a great student food - for chickpeas use canned ones and add a bit less liquid

Take any basic sauce and if thick add water so you have at least 2 cups of liquid (you can also use left over wine or beer for the Mexican sauce). Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup lentils (any color) or 1 can of chickpeas (2 if feeding 4 people)

For lentils bring to boil, turn down to simmer and cook for about 30 to 45 minutes (when lentils are cooked through)
    The Italian lentils are especially good with some added sausage like Kubasa but are an excellent vegetarian dish as well. They are also improved by adding some chopped onion, cooked in a bit of olive oil for a few minutes before adding to the pot; but these are not required. Other fun additions are dried bell pepper or canned mushrooms (I'm allergic so I don't think about those).

For canned chickpeas, bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and cook at least 20 minutes to mix flavors, up to an hour for a stronger taste. the Asian chickpea version can also have added bits like apples, sliced zukes, chopped egg plant etc as variations - just adjust the cooking time for anything raw.

For either version serve with rice (regular, brown or quick cooking)

That's just a few suggestions, it is really worth making up say a few jars of sauce on a Sunday after noon; will take about 30 minutes to an hour to do several (I can make pizza sauce in 5 minutes if I have to) and you have lots of choices for weekly meals that don't have any junk in them and just need cheese, pasta, tortilla, bread etc to fill out.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Wonderful. Thank you. I think I'll put a copy of this in alol my graduation gift cards.

Default Quick is a relative term

There are quick sauces and there are good sauces. Here is my general use Italian sauce:
    Chuck’s Favorite Italian Sauce:
    3- 16 OZ cans of Diced Tomatoes
    1- LB Ground beef (1/2 kilo)
    1- LB Hot Italian Sausage
    1- LB Chopped white onion
    1- Teasp Thyme
    1- Teasp Rosemary
    3- Teasp Greek Seasoning
    1- Tblsp Oregano
    1- Tblsp Season Salt
    2- Tblsp Italian spices
    2- Tblsp Fresh chopped Garlic
    (Optional items: Occasionally I will add a can of sliced Olives and one of sliced Mushrooms)

DIRECTIONS

Brown all meat and onion then add tomatoes, and spices to large pot. Place on stove and bring to boil. Cover and turn down to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Serve over Pasta or as a sauce for Eggplant or Chicken Parmesan.
    (Serves 7 to 9)
    • Philippians 4:6-7 “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God”
    The Apostle Paul told us to not worry about anything.
    What should we do instead of worrying?
    1. Pray for what you need as well as for what you want.
    2. Tell God that you are thankful for what he has already given you.
    3. Request from God everything you need for the day, every day.
    Libertatem a Calumnia (Freedom from Oppression)

add 1 or 2 tablespoons of cocoa to chili and it adds a rich back-flavor.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Forgot to add that 1/2 to 1 tsp of cumin makes a good addition to the Mexican and Asian-Indian version of the basic sauce. Tiny amounts of chili can add a slight kick to the Italian version (also you can add black pepper) since my husband does not eat any of these I tend to forget them unless cooking for myself.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats