Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Seed company sells out, hundreds out of work

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskey Reb View Post
    The bottom line is that the seed supply is rapidly diminishing. For a seed company to go belly up in days like this is unlikely. There's more to this story than an acquisition. I'd like to know names and associations.

I'm saving seed....are you?
    This is what I am most concerned about. Seeds are in high demand and we just lost a supplier.
    Do thou O Lord, protect us, guard us ever from this generation. On every side the wicked prowl as vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
    Psalm 12:7-8

In answer to your inquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell. —William Booth founder and general of the Salvation Army 1829-1916

Quote Originally Posted by Homeward View Post
    We did have working anti-trust laws, once.

They went by the wayside for expediency in the M&A madness over the past 30 years.

It kills small towns.

This is the town that just had it's primary employer nuked:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fulton-Kentucky.html

Here is a bird's eye-view of it:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.asp...435&FORM=MIRE1#

The company had been there since 1856

http://national.citysearch.com/profi...e_seed_co.html

Well they can just get another job. Where?

http://westkyeconomic.com/industrial-sites.htm

There are a handful of cities in ths country that have systematically asset-stripped towns all across America, leaving them little more than hollow shells. NYC, Boston, DC, anywhere you find management experts "rationalizing shareholder value" (pumping the stock to collect heartstopping bonuses, and exiting before the inevitable crash). The value that generations built into their companies and communities is being raped for short-term profit.

The company that runs the mess won't even put the pictures of their execs on the site. Private firm, acquire, rationalize, and to hell with the people who worked there. It's just business. Just soulless business. Every man for himself. Promise anything and deliver nothing. It's just business. Thanks for your years of service, but no gold watch or even a thank you. It's nothing personal, it's just business.

Besides, it's tough making a go of it in the big Apple. Look at how much a decent place to live costs: http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...on_mansion.php
    How does anti-trust laws affect this? Anti-trust laws are and were to prevent one company from having a monopoly in a market.

If a company employs 500 or more people, they are covered by the federal WARN Act which requires them to give 6 weeks written notice of layoffs, however if the company employs 499 they are not required to do anything in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by PyratePrincess View Post
    Any possibility some entity with a competing interest *cough..monsancrap*
    may have bought them out to force them to close?
    ... or maybe those jobs are being moved to china.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Seed company sells out, hundreds out of work

Reporter - Jason Hibbs

Story Created: May 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM CDT

Story Updated: May 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM CDT

FULTON, Ky. — Terminated: a large employer lets almost everyone go and the community can't believe how they did it. Employees returned to the job after lunch only to learn they no longer have a job.
    It happened just after noon Friday at the 53-year-old Ferry Morse Seed Factory in Fulton, Kentucky.

A company spokesperson had no comment but people in the community had plenty to say about the way the company let workers go.
    Jiffy Products owned and operated the factory. But now, Massachusetts-based Plantation Products owns the home and garden division of Jiffy, and in turn, owns Ferry Morse.

While they won't tell us their plans for the Fulton factory, they made it clear they don't want nearly all the workers who depend on the garden-growing company to feed their families.

The company that started sending seeds in the mail seven generations ago hand-delivered a letter to nearly 200 factory workers just after lunch. It stated their position was terminated, effective immediately.
    "I can't believe that, because things were going so great," said Fulton resident Judy Green. "People had been there a long time."

Economic Development Director Eddy Crittendon said he was caught off guard like everyone else and is surprised the company gave no notice.
    "There's folks who've been employed out there for thirty to forty years, have given their whole life to the company," he said.

More:
    http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/home/ticke...152115545.html
    They may want to get in touch with a labor board or a lawyer. Many states have laws that if X number of employees are going to be laid off they need to give 60 days notice and or severance equal to that 60 days.

I only know this because a company I worked at was bought out by a competitor and the gave us all this notice as they we closing down our office and the notice stated that this warning was required by law. It may have been a state law though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Exactly! And the half a dozen guys who owned the place made a fortune!

Hooray for those half a dozen guys, huh?

Bet those other schmucks could have done better if they hadn't been so lazy, huh? Why can't they just work harder and get ahead like REAL people, huh?

You know, we all like capitalism, but if it keeps on going like this the capitalists are going to get strung up by all the newly-minted communists who lost their jobs when the capitalists sold out....

Because you know, there's a whole lot more sold outs than there are sell outs. And when their tummies start to rumblin', Ayn Rand will prove no comfort. Nor will little things like the "rule of law". And they won't just starve quietly, cursing their own ineptitude and lack of ambition. Because funny thing...there will be plenty of former business owners in there who didn't get the chance to sell out.

Best stock up on ammo lest someone get to thinking you're a "have" because you live indoors and eat.
    Let the newly minted communists start their own factory. Surely they have the capital and are willing to risk it on this venture. They could all second mortgage their homes and pool thier money and risk it all.

The only thing wrong here is the low class way the old and new owners informed their workers. If I start a factory and own it I reserve the right to sell it.

rlm, I'm pretty sure I read they got 60 days' pay-in-lieu.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
    Ferry Morse have always had good seeds till this year. only the cucumbers didn't have to be replanted this year. My family was talking about Ferry Morse must be having money trouble yesterday. Everyone we know had problems with their seeds this year.

4 packs of swiss chard were planned and not one plant came up. The lettuce, onions and peppers all sucked. The first round of lettuce barely had a few come up. Witched to Seeds of Change, doing much better. Their corn was hit and miss, and it did alot more missing, then hitting. It took 3 planting of corn to full in the gaps. Thats 3 differnt kinds of corn, one not Ferry Morse.
    Carrots and beans here .... I thought it was just me.

The bottom line is that the seed supply is rapidly diminishing. For a seed company to go belly up in days like this is unlikely. There's more to this story than an acquisition. I'd like to know names and associations.
    Wise thoughts and suspicions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Indeed. You are. And many others are too.

We can wax poetic on the nature of capitalism, and how it may not work for everybody but it's better than anything else all we like.

The problem that you're missing is that, when capitalism stops working for large enough numbers of people, those numbers will look for something else. Something "better". Something that helps them prevent their children from starving to death.

For a board that claims to "get it" over the vast horde that "don't get it", many don't actually SEEM to "get it" at all.

There is indeed something you're not understanding. Hopefully you'll get it before the armed mob arrives, because they won't take "I don't understand" for an answer. And they certainly won't look at starving family and say "Golly, kids, we all have to starve to death because daddy wasn't a good enough capitalist. Super sorry about that; hey, why don't we all go look at the better capitalists who are eating and living indoors while we starve and freeze? That'll cheer us up before we die!"

No! They WILL TAKE YOUR STUFF. And you don't have enough guns or bullets to defend against same.

We have essentially two choices: make capitalism work for more people, or allow it to continue on and watch it get destroyed by starving hordes who didn't sell out rapidly enough.

I'm here trying to protect capitalism.

Too many of you are allowing it to kill itself.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

I think a lot of you need to stop taking the Red Pill for a while and detox.

I'm saving seed....are you?
    Suspicious also.
    I'm saving seeds but still buying also. (more varieties, all open pollinated)
    Seeds = The Only Affordable Food when inflation really kicks in.
    Don in MN

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.”Thomas Paine

"...for I know whom I have believed,
    and am persuaded that he is able
    to keep that which I have committed
    unto him against that day."

~
    II Timothy 1:12b

~