Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Mint?

Default What to do with Mint?

I planted some mint about a year ago and it's starting to really take off. I picked it up on a lark and violated the don't grow what you don't eat rule. Now I need some ideas on what to do with it. So far we've been dropping a few leaves in with the tea when we brew it, but that's about it.
    Though He slay me, I will hope in Him. Job 13:15a

I like to tuck bags of dry mints in with the linens and undies and even the shoes! Nice reminders of spring in the dead of winter here. A bit simmering in the "steam kettle" on the wood burner is nice also, at lead I think so.

Make jelly--I found it needs some mint extract to make it taste good. Dry it and use it in taboli (?) that wheat salad with vinegar and tomatoes and mint. Could be used as an herb--do a search "Recipes using mint" and see what comes up.

The flowers are good in salads.

I always chop some fine and put it in my spaghetti sauce. You can't really taste it so don't put too much in. But it does make a difference in the smoothness of the flavor.

I make syrup out of it--sometimes with lemon verbena--and use it with lemon juice to make lemonade.
    1 part lemon juice
    2 parts syrup
    8 parts water

Wow! you missed the boat!!

MINT JULEP:

4 fresh mint sprigs
    2 1/2 oz bourbon whiskey
    1 tsp powdered sugar
    add a splash of spring water.

Muddle (crush) mint leaves, powdered sugar, and water in a collins glass. Fill the glass with shaved or crushed ice and add bourbon. Top with more ice and garnish with a mint sprig. Serve with a straw.

This is the reason the Lord created Mint.

Europe used to have empires. They were run by emperors.
    Then we had kingdoms. They were run by kings.
    Now we have countries...

that was funny Mero...you even had me wanting one and I don't drink LOL
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

I drink mint tea -- the kind that's mint leaves only (no tea leaves).

you can make all kinds of things with mint...first one that comes to mind (other than mint tea, my favorite) is mouthwash! lots of recipes online.

Ditto on the tabbouleh, dry it, gift it away, it repels rodents, so plant is around the house if that's a problem, it can go in all kinds of lotions, creams, and herbal remedies.
    Deuteronomy 6:5-7 And thou shalt love YHWH thy Elohim with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.