Thread: Obama official steps down before SCOTUS ruling

Default Obama official steps down before SCOTUS ruling

The Obama administration official who’s running a key part of health reform is stepping down — just two weeks before the Supreme Court could strike down part or all of the law.
    Steve Larsen is resigning as head of HHS's Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight effective in mid-July, acting CMS Administrator Marilyn Tavenner announced to the agency staff Friday morning.
    He will temporarily be replaced by Mike Hash, who currently heads the HHS Office of Health Reform, until the department finds a permanent replacement.
    Tavenner’s announcement didn’t give a reason for Larsen’s departure or any details on his future plans.
    The shake-up comes at a sensitive time for the office. If the Supreme Court upholds the health reform law, CCIIO will have a lot of work to do helping states meet an end-of-the-year deadline for preparing to implement health insurance exchanges.
    But if the law is struck down — or even if only parts of it are overturned — the head of the agency will have to pick up the pieces.
    Here is the full text of the email Tavenner sent to staffers Friday morning:
    Dear Colleagues, I write to share with you news that Steve Larsen has informed me of his decision to resign his role as Deputy Administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and Director of the Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO) effective in mid July. As you know, Steve has been an instrumental part of our senior leadership team and I am deeply grateful for his dedication to our work to implement the Affordable Care Act.
    Steve and I have worked closely over the past year in our efforts to incorporate the work of CCIIO into CMS. Together we have leveraged CMS' strengths as we took on these new responsibilities and I am proud of our efforts to hold insurance companies accountable to consumers and our work with states and others to build a new insurance marketplace. His efforts helped to lay the foundation for our continued success and have put us on a path to make sure that these new marketplaces are available to consumers in every state in 2014.
    In consultation with Secretary Sebelius, we have asked Mike Hash to serve as Interim Director of CCIIO while I work to recruit a permanent successor for this role. As the Director of the Office of Health Reform, Mike is an invaluable partner to CMS as we work to implement the Affordable Care Act. His knowledge of CMS and our work uniquely position him to seamlessly continue the progress we have made.
    Please join me in thanking Steve for his dedicated leadership and service and giving Mike your full support as we continue our important work together. I am especially pleased we are able to have a strong leadership team in place at CMS as we move forward and am excited about all that we will continue to do to make a difference in the lives of millions of Americans.
    Sincerely,
    Marilyn Tavenner
    Acting Administrator

This article first appeared on POLITICO Pro at 11:51 a.m. on June 15, 2012.

There were several Nazies that tried to do the same thing,,,
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Links are always welcome.
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Links are always welcome.

Sorry - I usually do post links.

Here ya go.

http://mobile.politico.com/story.cfm...68&cat=topnews

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Default Dang!

I misread the title to this thread.....I thought it said, "Obama officially steps down before SCOTUS ruling!"

Is that wishful thinking?
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    I misread the title to this thread.....I thought it said, "Obama officially steps down before SCOTUS ruling!"

How can he live with himself knowing all his "faults" to be President of The United States?

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post

I did the same thing when i saw it on twitter!!!!!

http://cciio.cms.gov/steve_larsen.html

Another career bureaucrat.

From the end of the OP:

as we move forward and am excited about all that we will continue to do to make a difference in the lives of millions of Americans.
    Sincerely,
    Marilyn Tavenner
    Acting Administrator
    I'm sure the agenda is chock full of heavy handed tactics, like the door to door enforcement by armed IRS agents.

Heard on the radio today...another $881 million dollars being appropriated to hire and train more agents as well continuing to implement Obamacare.
    Last edited by Ben Sunday; 06-15-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling error

Even the bravest of us rarely has the courage for what he really knows. - Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    There were several Nazies that tried to do the same thing,,,
    Can you expand please?
    Pull my finger!

I guess to some people chains don't matter as long as they have the right letter on them. Frankly I don't want to be in chains.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Padme in Star Wars Episode III