Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Hot To Turn on the Oven Recipes - Cold Meal Recipes/Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Help.

I am having a horrible time trying to come up with stuff that doesn't require heat, other than tuna salad.

It is WAY too hot to turn on the oven, and this is the first time in my LIFE I have ever known what that actually means.

Gonna be in the 100's today. I am sitting here debating whether or not to embarrass the crap out of myself and put foil on the windows. (we are in the process of trying to buy drapes - it's not going well, and blinds don't keep heat out at all)
    We went to the local deli and bought a box of their fried chicken! Can be served with all sorts of cold salads. BLT's, chefs salads, grill something???

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Too hot to grill. It is just miserable. 83 INside.

I've never had a house so hot that didn't have a broken ac unit.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Acts17Apologetics
    Shut yer sauce box, & focus yer audio, see?

The microwave and a crockpot can be great assets this time of year! The other thing I used to do (and need to get back to) is cooking ONCE for a week-even if it's on the grill once the sun goes down. Used to do that in AZ and got out of the habit here-but I never, ever feel like cooking or eating until close to sunset and living here some days we're talking almost 10PM!! If you wait until then and plan ahead for a number of nights you can either eat cold or reheat in the microwave. A salad made with cold, grilled chicken or steak is always good. I've made one half a dozen times this last 2 weeks-cooked cold chicken, lettuce-both chopped, kidney beans, grated cheddar, chopped tomato, sliced olives, tossed with HV Ranch and smashed tortilla chips. After a bad, bad experience years ago I found it IS possible to cook delicious chicken breasts in the microwave and that is what I've been doing...works especially well if you're using them in a recipe of any kind anyway :)

What I meant to say was, if you wait until then (when the sun goes down) and then cook once for multiple nights, you can then eat the food hot (reheat in the microwave) or cold.

Another suggestion-I use the sideburner on my grill to make rice, pasta, etc outside. I also use the grill itself to cook everything from casseroles to pizza to rolls...indirect heat is amazing :)

That's one of the great things about pressure canning meats. Open a jar, slice or shred it and have an instant sandwich. or stuff to throw in/on a salad. or put some on a tortilla for a wrap. or microwave it a minute to have hot.

I also like cold Chunky Soup or cold canned baked beans. And would a can of tomato soup made with cold water be considered gazpacho? How about a can of sardines on crackers. Apple quarters dipped in peanut butter. A can of diced tomatoes is good cold - throw in some diced bell pepper, onion and cucumber.

I too, would recommend something in the crock pot. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I'm going to do today myself. I found a yummy looking pork roast on sale for 3.50$ (!).....will be great in the crock pot.

tomato, feta cheese, some onion if you like, a splash of red wine vinegar and some pepper . Stuff into a pita.

There's also that cold ramen noodle and cabbage salad you could make. Recipes are all over the internet. Throw in some canned or rotisserie chicken to round out.

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Too hot to grill. It is just miserable. 83 INside.

I've never had a house so hot that didn't have a broken ac unit.
    After reading the post about drapes, i remembered that the old style heavy duty blackout drapes knocked 7 to 10 degrees from the room.you could try those.

“There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.”
    ― John Adams, The Works Of John Adams, Second President Of The United States

Try Near East Taboule. I love that and it gets better each day in the fridge. My hubby doesn't like veggies, so I have to wait for company to make this recipe. It is worth the wait tho'.

I don't do heat well an after a long day in it cooking at night is the last thing I'm motivated to do. That said we would damp off a towel , hang it an let the fan blow to cool the bedroom at least. A friend of mine and his wife would keep clean pillowcases in the freezer ready for bedtime.

For meals I did my cooking pre-dawn. Tater Salad, make sandwich wraps for the family to grab, chopped veggies and fruit for dipping. We make a Tuna salad I learned from another friend. It doesn't go bad in the heat an despite first looks tastes fantastic.

Tuna Salad-

Boil up some elbow mac, drain in cold water, toss in bowl. Dump in a can of cream of mushroom soup, or more depending on how big a batch, same for tuna. Add 1 bag frozen baby peas then season with some garlic salt and pepper. Mix and chill, altho it's good warm too.

Cause there is no mayo in it it's safer for carrying to summer gatherings. It's cheap it's easy.