Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Hot To Turn on the Oven Recipes - Cold Meal Recipes/Ideas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Too Hot To Turn on the Oven Recipes - Cold Meal Recipes/Ideas

Help.

I am having a horrible time trying to come up with stuff that doesn't require heat, other than tuna salad.

It is WAY too hot to turn on the oven, and this is the first time in my LIFE I have ever known what that actually means.

Gonna be in the 100's today. I am sitting here debating whether or not to embarrass the crap out of myself and put foil on the windows. (we are in the process of trying to buy drapes - it's not going well, and blinds don't keep heat out at all)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Acts17Apologetics
    Shut yer sauce box, & focus yer audio, see?

there's lots of ways to try to keep the house cooler, but I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll keep it on food.

Chicken salad.
    Cucumber sandwiches
    Salads
    Fruit and cheese

You can always grill, crockpot outside... but I usually don't when it's too hot.

When it's sickening hot, we will have ginger ale, sherbert (lime sherbert and ginger ale rock when put together!!!) for dinner. Cheese and crackers as a snack later on.

Quote Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
    there's lots of ways to try to keep the house cooler, but I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll keep it on food.

Chicken salad.
    Cucumber sandwiches
    Salads
    Fruit and cheese

You can always grill, crockpot outside... but I usually don't when it's too hot.

When it's sickening hot, we will have ginger ale, sherbert (lime sherbert and ginger ale rock when put together!!!) for dinner. Cheese and crackers as a snack later on.
    !!! Let's go to the ... I guess parlour?? ... and make a thread about THAT - ways to keep the house cool!

And thank you for the food ideas!

Come on over & spill your guts!

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...32#post1894032

I managed to get some taters chopped and cooked yesterday early and some eggs boiled. Put them together this morning for a cooling tater salad. Also made a nice 3-bean marinated salad for the veggies dish. Add a variety of sanwiches and we're good to go for a few meals. Macaroni salad also comes to mind as does that southern favorite green pea and cheese cubes salad. Cole slaw also. Paper or foam plates and hardly any dishes to do and not pots and pans.

This is not an entirely cold thing. You have to cook the first part, but if you do the cooking at night, and then keep them in the fridge, oh man are these things wonderful:

Date Balls
    From Ying Chen

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup chopped dates*
    1 egg, beaten
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    2 cups puffed rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
    1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, for rolling
    1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped, for rolling

Directions:
    In a medium saucepan, melt butter with sugar, then add chopped dates.

Stirring very quickly, add in beaten egg.

Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, and allow to boil for 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, and add chopped walnuts and puffed rice, mixing well.

Spread mixture onto a heatsafe pan, and allow to cool. Cut into even, 1-inch sized cubes.

Combine finely chopped walnuts and flaked coconut in a shallow dish.

Grease hands with butter, and, using hands, shape each date square into an individual sphere, then roll it in the walnut-and-coconut mixture. Shake excess off.

Makes about 40 date balls.
    http://www.yumsugar.com/-Bake-Date-Balls-Recipe-6637749

I don't know if they are SUPPOSE to be cold, but I like them that way. Probably b/c my Grandma only made them at Christmas, and kept them upstairs where the heat wasn't on, so they were cold.

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

I still have that recipe from my 6th grade home-ec class! I love those! Yes, they're supposed to be cold, but then again, they're cookies/dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by DunDunDuuun View Post
    Help.

I am having a horrible time trying to come up with stuff that doesn't require heat, other than tuna salad.

It is WAY too hot to turn on the oven, and this is the first time in my LIFE I have ever known what that actually means.

Gonna be in the 100's today. I am sitting here debating whether or not to embarrass the crap out of myself and put foil on the windows. (we are in the process of trying to buy drapes - it's not going well, and blinds don't keep heat out at all)
    We went to the local deli and bought a box of their fried chicken! Can be served with all sorts of cold salads. BLT's, chefs salads, grill something???

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Too hot to grill. It is just miserable. 83 INside.

I've never had a house so hot that didn't have a broken ac unit.

The microwave and a crockpot can be great assets this time of year! The other thing I used to do (and need to get back to) is cooking ONCE for a week-even if it's on the grill once the sun goes down. Used to do that in AZ and got out of the habit here-but I never, ever feel like cooking or eating until close to sunset and living here some days we're talking almost 10PM!! If you wait until then and plan ahead for a number of nights you can either eat cold or reheat in the microwave. A salad made with cold, grilled chicken or steak is always good. I've made one half a dozen times this last 2 weeks-cooked cold chicken, lettuce-both chopped, kidney beans, grated cheddar, chopped tomato, sliced olives, tossed with HV Ranch and smashed tortilla chips. After a bad, bad experience years ago I found it IS possible to cook delicious chicken breasts in the microwave and that is what I've been doing...works especially well if you're using them in a recipe of any kind anyway :)

What I meant to say was, if you wait until then (when the sun goes down) and then cook once for multiple nights, you can then eat the food hot (reheat in the microwave) or cold.

Another suggestion-I use the sideburner on my grill to make rice, pasta, etc outside. I also use the grill itself to cook everything from casseroles to pizza to rolls...indirect heat is amazing :)