Thread: Depression Era Cooking.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Depression Era Cooking.

I wanted to get a thread started on this based on what was suggested already in the CoC. Not taking glory from the OP who suggested it, I just have the time to start the thread and hopefully get others to start contributing.

Here's some links - some have YouTub3! video's linked in.

(A lot of these sites are trying to sell something - imagine that!)

http://greatdepressioncooking.com/Welcome.html

http://community.tasteofhome.com/com...0/t/44025.aspx

That'll get us started. Thanks everyone/anyone that contributes!

Vintage WW1 Eggless, Milkless, Butterless Cake

1 cup water
    2 cups raisins
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. cloves
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup lard (shortening)
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. baking powder

Place water, raisins, cinnamon, cloves, brown sugar, lard (shortening), nutmeg and salt in a saucepan and mix. Place on heat and bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes. Allow to cool, then sift together the flour, baking soda and baking
    powder. Stir into cooked mixture.
    Place in a greased loaf pan and bake at 350F for one hour.

Ritz Mock Apple Pie

The classic pie, featuring Ritz crackers baked in a golden crust, is perfect for the holidays.

Pastry for two-crust 9-inch pie
    36 RITZ Crackers, coarsely broken (about 1 3/4 cups crumbs)
    1 3/4 cups water
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Grated peel of one lemon
    2 tablespoons margarine or butter
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Roll out half the pastry and line a 9-inch pie plate. Place cracker crumbs in prepared crust; set aside.

Heat water, sugar and cream of tartar to a boil in saucepan over high heat; simmer for 15 minutes. Add lemon juice and peel; cool.

Pour syrup over cracker crumbs. Dot with margarine or butter; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll out remaining pastry; place over pie. Trim, seal and flute edges. Slit top crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 425°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden. Cool completely.

Crazy Cake.
    My mom used to make this a olot for us kinds, her mom used to make it for her family.

3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups white sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups cold water
    Directions
    1Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a 9 x 13 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.

we still make this in our family-
    Scalloped Corn
    1 can cream corn
    1 egg
    1/4 cup milk
    enough crumbled saltin cracker to make a semi-thick mixture when stirred into the above.
    Bake at 350 for about 30 min till nice and puffy

Quote Originally Posted by Limner View Post
    Pepper and onions are good in this, too. That's the way my Mama made this!

THANKS for the recipe for Wacky Cake, Lurker! My Mama made that, too, but the recipe was lost. YEAH! It's found again. :o)

I grabbed all those off of one of the links I posted - I forget which one. Glad you found it though!

Gotta get back, and accustomed to, the basics again so when we're forced to it it's no surprise or big deal.

Crazy Cake is about the best chocolate cake I've ever eaten. My wife makes it for birthdays in our family. When the kids were little, they'd always ask for it. It's a dense chocolate cake with a a lot of chocolate flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Crazy Cake.
    My mom used to make this a olot for us kinds, her mom used to make it for her family.

3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups white sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups cold water
    Directions
    1Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a 9 x 13 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.

So, the first recipe I come to is "Mock Apple Pie". You make it from Ritz crackers. People in the Depression era had Ritz crackers but not apples? If you want an apple pie, why not make apple pie? Apples are abundant most places, store very well, and are easily canned. Novelty I guess. I've had this pie before, when I was a kid. My recollection was it tasted salty.

Quote Originally Posted by graystone View Post
    So, the first recipe I come to is "Mock Apple Pie". You make it from Ritz crackers. People in the Depression era had Ritz crackers but not apples? If you want an apple pie, why not make apple pie? Apples are abundant most places, store very well, and are easily canned. Novelty I guess. I've had this pie before, when I was a kid. My recollection was it tasted salty.
    I have used large zucchini in Mock Apple Pie as well.

I peel the zucchini, then split the zucchini in half long ways, run a melon baller down the center of each halve, taking out the seeds. Then I slice across the halves.....about as thick as you would when slicing apples for pie.

I add a small amount of apple juice to the raw zucchini slices and microwave for a few minutes. I then proceed with regular apple pie recipe. This is a good way to use up the large zucchini towards the end of the season.
    -
    -