Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression Era Cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Limner View Post
    Pepper and onions are good in this, too. That's the way my Mama made this!

THANKS for the recipe for Wacky Cake, Lurker! My Mama made that, too, but the recipe was lost. YEAH! It's found again. :o)

I grabbed all those off of one of the links I posted - I forget which one. Glad you found it though!

Gotta get back, and accustomed to, the basics again so when we're forced to it it's no surprise or big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Gotta get back, and accustomed to, the basics again so when we're forced to it it's no surprise or big deal.
    Yes! That's what I was thinking when I started looking for my older recipes. Sunday pot roast may well become chicken pot pies, with just a taste of chicken in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Yes! That's what I was thinking when I started looking for my older recipes. Sunday pot roast may well become chicken pot pies, with just a taste of chicken in them.
    Yup.

Maybe this thread will take off enough to be stickied. We'll see.

good stuff, keep them coming
    “Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage.” (Galatians 5:1 KJV)

Won't bow to man. Won't bow to government. Won't bow to greed. Won't bow to false hope. Won't bow to self. Won't bow to modern code. Won't sell my soul to a dead world. I Defy.
    - The World is a Thorn

I have a version of the WWI cake called "Lumber Jack Cake" but I list it as "Mom Zimmer's Lumber Jack Cake" because I got it the recipe in 1989 from a women who was 86 then and had raised children and run a farm during the Depression. I've seen a lot of versions of it since then, it is very good and can be made with all sorts of dried fruits, I've also experimented by soaking the fruit in brandy first. I know that she's looking down from somewhere an approves of that change, she always liked a small "tipple" lol
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

What great recipes and links. Thanks everyone!
    We wanted a FIGHTER. We got a fighter in Trump. He will not take anything laying down. Trump or Bust.

Some of you might appreciate the white trash cookin cook book series then. I have one of the books and have seen the others, all good stuff.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Default The Sticky Fairy has heard your plea . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Yup.

Maybe this thread will take off enough to be stickied. We'll see.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Disaster Cat would you share your cake recipe? I have been drying all the little bits of fruit that we have left over(even halves of fruit that that the kids have not bitten into) and would love to have some other recipes to use mixed dried fruits with. I usually use it in hot cereal in the winter, but a cake would be lovely!

I don't remember where I found this recipe, but it is a depression era one that can be adapted to pretty much any type of seasoning you like.

The original recipe -

DEPRESSION MEXICAN RICE

Read more about it at http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1742...242205,00.html
    Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 c. uncooked rice
    1 lg. can whole tomatoes
    3 tsp. chili powder
    1 lg. onion
    1 lb. bacon
    3 c. water

Cut bacon into quarter pieces. Brown until done. Drain some fat off. Wash rice and put in with bacon. Cut up onion. Add tomatoes and chili power. Stir and cook 10 minutes. Add water. Cook until done.

My new base recipe -

2 cups uncooked rice (or if cooked already I throw it in at the end)
    1 large can or pint of tomatoes - due to texture issues in my house I usually puree the tomatoes and juice
    3 tsp + of Mexican or Italian seasoning or a mix of garlic, onion, pepper, paprika and whatever else sounds good(no rosemary though it totally over powers everything! At least to us)
    salt to taste

1 large onion diced
    about 1 pound of diced or ground meat.

3 cups of water
    a bit of oil/butter to saute onion in

Add butter to pan and then add onion, cook until slightly softened. Add the meat and seasonings, brown the meat with the onion until onion until soft. If there is a lot of grease drain some off.

Add uncooked rice and tomato puree, cook for 10 -15 minutes. Add water and cook until rice is done. (add additional liquid if needed or drain some off if too soupy. Though that does not happen often)

To this I often add bits of leftover veggies or beans. If you are doing a Mexican inspired dish, leftover refried beans are a great addition. If you have leftover rice this is a great and super quick dish to make since you just need to brown meat and onion and cook down the liquid.

If you use cooked rice do not use the water. You may need a little extra liquid, but use broth instead or more tomato puree or sauce instead for better flavor.

A bit of cheese is good too if you have it.