Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression Era Cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberiot View Post
    Thanks!

Woo-Hooo!

I love the book (available on Kindle) Little Heathens by Mildred Kalish. Lots of tales about the depression and lots of recipes and "how to's". (hogs head,) Worth the price.

Bump.

We need more basic recipes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Bump.

We need more basic recipes please!

There's a bunch of them in a similarly titled thread here from a couple of years back.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

PW I thought that we had done posts like this before. I was just assuming that they had been wiped out a year or so ago. good to know that they are still here.

I eat like this almost every day.
    I can afford food but I make really good stuff from what's laying around.

My 17 yo daughter and I decided the other day to start compiling my "throw together" stuff into a recipe book.
    I learned this from mom who was a depression era young woman; born in 1917 and married in 1937
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

I have a 1920's era Larkin cookbook. It is falling apart but I treasure it because it belonged to a dear friend and it has the most basic of recipes. It leaves out a lot of instructions since it was assumed people had basic cooking knowledge.

I have a friend who grew up in Romania under Communism. They used the "old" ways to preserve food, larding and salt. I think that would be useful to learn.

Another good source of "depression" recipes are old WW2 cookbooks and pamphlets from the rationing era. I have several pamphlets Mom got during those years and I cherish her 1935 edition of Fanny Farmer's Boston Cooking School cookbook.

When I was in college I found a series of books in the university library written before and during WWII about four older ladies who banded together to survive the Depression and then get through the war. Although they were fiction books, they included a large number of eat-cheap meal ideas and recipes. Wish I could remember them now. I'm sure they're out of print and probably impossible to find.
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!