Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Depression Era Cooking.

For us "cook from scratch" folks it's habit to cook
    healthy meals from basic ingredients. For those just
    starting to cook from scratch, thrift stores, goodwill stores
    are a plethora of knowledge in their book sections in the stores.
    Lots and lots of old / older cookbooks on the shelves.

I know turkeys get a bad rap but if the country folk here
    have a place / space raising turkeys to bank in the freezer
    is a good option. They're easy to slaughter and butcher.

I had posted this link on the original OP's thread proceeding
    this thread and though the thought may be initially disturbing
    there's a lot to eat if you look around and don't forget fishing,
    crabbing, clamming if you live near water areas. I have a feeling
    quite a few on this forum will be getting a freezer or a 2nd..3rd one
    in not to short of time. Here's the link to the famine food homepage

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/F...s/ff_home.html

Quote Originally Posted by check View Post
    For us "cook from scratch" folks it's habit to cook
    healthy meals from basic ingredients. For those just
    starting to cook from scratch, thrift stores, goodwill stores
    are a plethora of knowledge in their book sections in the stores.
    Lots and lots of old / older cookbooks on the shelves.

I know turkeys get a bad rap but if the country folk here
    have a place / space raising turkeys to bank in the freezer
    is a good option. They're easy to slaughter and butcher.

I had posted this link on the original OP's thread proceeding
    this thread and though the thought may be initially disturbing
    there's a lot to eat if you look around and don't forget fishing,
    crabbing, clamming if you live near water areas.
    I have a feeling
    quite a few on this forum will be getting a freezer or a 2nd..3rd one
    in not to short of time. Here's the link to the famine food homepage

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/F...s/ff_home.html
    We live near fresh and saltwater bodies of water, only 5 minutes from the Hood Canal. In season, we go fishing local or otherwise (King Salmon, Silver Salmon, Ling Cod, Rock Fish, Halibut, etc...), crabbing, shrimping, clamming, gathering oysters, picking wild berries, and also mushroom hunting. There are also a lot of wild edibles here, too... Also canning, drying, smoking or otherwise preserving is good, too.

Are you sure that isn't onion soup w potatoes? Not big on soup. Only had them when I was sick. Same with jello. Clam chowder or lobster bisque are the two I will eat. Since we do not live near the coast, I suppose I should find a new favorite. Does chicken n dumplings count?

Goatsrus, I made that "fry bread" a few days ago and instead of frying, I baked it with lots of onions, peppers and cheese sprinkled (and butter too) on the top. It made one big loaf on my cookie sheet so I cut it in half and froze one side. When I took it from the freezer, I sliced it in half - horizontally, and put sharp cheese in it and put it in a pan to pan fry without any oil until the cheese melted'. That was lunch and it was good.

Davy, I also have containers of pot roast gravy for those very lean times. Gravy bread is one of my all time favorites. A fancy restraunt would call it "Aujus" and charge $6.00 per slice. LOL

I don't know how to cook anything that isn't from scratch. But I sure do miss a BIG garden!!! Veggies are worth an arm and leg these days.

Default Depression cooking with Clara.

I'm betting many of you have seen these-but since you can download you tube vids, would be quite a legacy to the younger people to watch.

I really enjoyed watching Clara, and was sad to hear she passed away this past November. She reminded me some of my grandmom :)

Very simple dishes, with a story to go with it. Hope y'all enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

TY PyratePrincess for the link!
    "Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who is your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything."

~ Our Lady to Juan Diego, December 9, 1531

some great recipes this has been dormant for a long time...can it be made a stickey? for food prices are on the up & up
    IF NON-MEMBERS OF THE NRA WOULD STOP SHOOTING PEOPLE
    GUN VIOLENCE WOULD DROP 100%

“Congress’ inability or unwillingness to pass a law desired by the executive branch does not default authority to the executive branch.”

"If every Jewish and anti-Nazi family in Germany had owned a Mauser rifle and twenty rounds of ammunition AND THE WILL TO USE IT Adolf Hitler would be a little-known footnote to the history of the Weimar Republic." - Aaron Zelman, JPFO
    http://www.jpfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ColdWater View Post
    some great recipes this has been dormant for a long time...can it be made a stickey? for food prices are on the up & up
    I agree, and it ain't going to get any better.

We've been eating on a pot of split pea soup cooked with a big ol' hambone for the past 3 meals. It's some serious good eats. Just finished up the last of it and that bone got pulled out, washed off, and will go in another pot.

The ham was one of those "ham product" where they add a lot of water to the meat, but it was a lot of meat for $10 so we bought it. We cut all the meat off the bone and then the fat, skin, scraps, and bone went into the freezer for later use.

After the ham itself was gone (2 lunches), we took the package of bone, fat, and scraps and dumped into a pot and stewed it with split peas for a couple of hours. Some shreds of meat fell off the bone, but it gave the peas a very good ham flavor. Eat the soup with just pepper and salt. 3 pounds of split peas for about a buck per pound.

So for about $15 we got 3 lunches and 3 dinners for 7 people and everyone got their fill. The bone will go back into the freezer and can be used 2-3 more times before it has no "zest" left in it and then it'll go to one of the dogs.

Are you talking about the SUDS IN YOUR EYE series? I have them and also their cook book. They are such wonderful books and I read then again and again.

Just for the fun of it, I throw together what I call a PREP DINNER. Last one was 2 cans of chicken, dried mushrooms, onions and a pinch of Bell Peppers, can of corn and a can of mushroom soup and added macaroni to it made a pretty good size casserole. Enough for four. I make and can soup. I figure we can live pretty well on soup and bread. Especially my robust soups and whole grain breads. Fruit will be the item that is hard to get. I store large jugs of Vit C.

Didn't they used to put a string on the bone so it could be passed around?