Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YouTube Fights Horrible Commenters by Naming Names

Default YouTube Fights Horrible Commenters by Naming Names

YouTube Fights Horrible Commenters by Naming Names

• 07.23.12 3:06 PM

An official Google screenshot featuring test user “Joey Samson,” formerly known as “joeysam87,” which shows the interface for converting an anonymous YouTube account to a Google+ account. YouTube has begun asking anonymous commenters to merge in their real names and photos. Photo: YouTube

YouTube is pushing its notorious commenters to name themselves.

When you comment on, or upload a video, YouTube will now urge you to “start using your full name on YouTube,” and ask if the video-sharing site can begin displaying the identity you’ve associated with your Google+ account (assuming you use Google’s social network). If you decline, Google makes you select a valid reason, like “My channel name is well-known,” as BetaBeat noticed this morning. (Google didn’t mention that wrinkle when it announced it would be rolling out this option.)

YouTube’s move toward real names was foreshadowed last month, when a YouTube product lead told developers at the Google I/O conference that the video service was planning some unspecified changes to its commenting system, widely regarded as a Hellmouth of crude abuse. As we noted at the time, making commenters use their real names and Google+ accounts was the obvious first step toward bringing civility to YouTube, which Google is eager to polish into a venue more attractive to business owners, advertisers, and creative filmmakers.

A YouTube spokesperson declined to comment today on whether more changes are in store, but it’s easy to imagine that offering Google+ YouTube accounts is just a first step toward hiding, and eventually eliminating, comments from anonymous accounts. Such simple steps would do more to improve the perceived quality of YouTube content than any upgrade to surround sound or high-definition video.

http://www.wired.com/business/2012/0...e-google-plus/
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]."
    [Daniel 12:10b]

This will lead to massive abuse and even greater racial hatred and tensions in our country. It's already happening. Facebook accounts (real or manufactured) are required to comment on news stories on certain online news outlets. It gives the sense that the person making the comment is real, when in all truth it may be a fake persona with a friendly face for a picture spewing out hatred and bigotry.

Do you see the potential to stir up races and classes against one another? This will be a tool for Satan to divide and further conquer this country. Imagine your enemy pretending to be you, defining what you think and believe because of their own twisted, evil perception in order to discredit you. It goes way beyond bearing false witness.

At this point in the game, I recommend not posting anything beyond funny things your pet does or DYI sorts of things, like how to cook a great pasta dish. Steer away from anything controversial.

Comments can also be turned off.

I'm trying to hammer this point home with the teenagers. These videos can come back to haunt a person, so make sure nothing is posted that would make an employer not want to hire you.

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

I'm trying to hammer this point home with the teenagers. These videos can come back to haunt a person, so make sure nothing is posted that would make an employer not want to hire you.
    Not sure how much that really matters, in the end. They already have enough reasons...you're too old, too young, too white, too male, too straight, not sufficiently quota-friendly, or they just don't want to pay for insurance.

Hey, I just helped a 18 y.o. neighbor get on at Target (part-time stocking) and coached one of the teenage girls through a bank teller job interview, and she got the job (also part time).

Granted, these are bright, bright kids who should've done much better, but it's better than nothing.

No, these are career positions by any stretch, but two teens hired in the same week is pretty good given the dismal summer hiring so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Hey, I just helped a 18 y.o. neighbor get on at Target (part-time stocking) and coached one of the teenage girls through a bank teller job interview, and she got the job (also part time).

Granted, these are bright, bright kids who should've done much better, but it's better than nothing.

No, these are career positions by any stretch, but two teens hired in the same week is pretty good given the dismal summer hiring so far!
    Point taken. It's what, a coin flip now in terms of hiring?

Good job, Meem!!!

And Blacknarwhal- while it's certainly true that getting hired is damned tough these days, there's no sense at all giving potential employers MORE reason... or giving them a very simple reason to dump your application before you ever get a foot in the door.

Dennis over at TB2k is a classic example of someone who may be seeing problems because of his posting under his real name. While I understand he's gone through some hard times, some of his posts there over the years were SO far over the top that no sane employer would hire someone who would make that sort of comment publicly. Likely the only thing that's saving him at this point is that his post count is SO high that it would take a determined potential employer to wade through them all- and many are innocuous commentary about his dogs, etc.

In this day of computers so powerful that searching through tens of thousands of posts by one person (using keyword search for "problem" posts) is no longer a weeks-long job, it's FAR too easy for a determined person to condense our online postings over a decade or longer into a succinct- and possibly very damning- summary.

Summerthyme

Bknrwl -- it's not always a coin toss, although it seems like it some times. I work on things like speaking up (no slang), manners, proper dress, selling their skills, and showing a work ethic. These teens are then head and shoulders above the mealy-mouthed mumblers who can barely put a coherent sentence together and need the job because "Mom says get a job or go to college."

Essh! I wouldn't hire some of these young people, either.

Summer, yes, that's one example. There are worse ones. Back when I had more connections, I was able to get some things pulled, but these days it's better they aren't out there. I've started looking at their Facebook pages (with permission) and have had them pull some things.

It's hard because YouTube is so cool, and I understand wanting to post some of these videos shot while under the influence of a few beers, but that's the sort of stuff that gets folks in trouble.

I can't see how this will do anything but chill free speech rights. It's one thing to speak in a public forum where people can see you and you can see them, like say, in a pub or at an event. But on the internet, to be required to speak publicly (as opposed to hiding behind an anonymous moniker) does not also then allow you to see who is reacting to your post, or who might just decide to show up at your front door step (or meet you on the street or in a dark alley) and try to "correct" your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    Good job, Meem!!!

And Blacknarwhal- while it's certainly true that getting hired is damned tough these days, there's no sense at all giving potential employers MORE reason... or giving them a very simple reason to dump your application before you ever get a foot in the door.

Dennis over at TB2k is a classic example of someone who may be seeing problems because of his posting under his real name. While I understand he's gone through some hard times, some of his posts there over the years were SO far over the top that no sane employer would hire someone who would make that sort of comment publicly. Likely the only thing that's saving him at this point is that his post count is SO high that it would take a determined potential employer to wade through them all- and many are innocuous commentary about his dogs, etc.

In this day of computers so powerful that searching through tens of thousands of posts by one person (using keyword search for "problem" posts) is no longer a weeks-long job, it's FAR too easy for a determined person to condense our online postings over a decade or longer into a succinct- and possibly very damning- summary.

Summerthyme
    Plenty would say that this is reason enough to tell the concept of "employer" where to stick it and instead building your own line of work. After all, do we really want to work for people who would fire us because our political leanings aren't to their liking?

But then that's half the point of having an anonymous username in the first place--tough to tell where the Black Narwhal is operating out of. Why, I bet at least one in three on this board think I'm a black man!

Maybe I'm not!

OooOOOOoOOOo...spooooky.