Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Is All the Ammo Being Bought by Gov?

Hey,

Was the actual number, total, 750,000 or 750 million rounds of ammo? Does anyone know?
    This article says 750 million rounds. That's a way larger number than 750,000!
    This is something I'd like to know too. The General says 750,000,000 while other reports say 750,000. I know it's just 3 zero's but since it's before the decimal point it does mean a lot.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Quote Originally Posted by tladyvixen View Post
    I totally agree!
    I prefer that they use the best 25acp that money can buy
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Quote Originally Posted by nframe View Post
    I guess it depends on your # of shooters and how much you practice, now wouldn't it. This is getting worked into a froth over nothing, and it makes all of us look like Dale Gribble. There are things to be paranoid over this isn't one of them.
    I thought the same thing, till all the ABC outfits started ordering their usual ammo resupply. So if they are still ordering ammo for themselves, what is DHS doing with all the ammo they were buying for them?

Think about it. There may be something to be paranoid over.
    In war, boots; in flight, a place in a boat or a seat on a lorry may be the most vital thing in the world, more desirable than untold millions. In hyperinflation, a kilo of potatoes was worth, to some, more than the family silver; a side of pork more than the grand piano. A prostitute in the family was better than an infant corpse; theft was preferable to starvation; warmth was finer than honour, clothing more essential than democracy, food more needed than freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by nframe View Post
    This again? Pistols are not what you use to fight a conflict, these contracts are spread over years hence the # of rds.
    I guess the fact that its "who" the "conflict" is gonna be with has gone a few miles over someone's head.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
    I thought the same thing, till all the ABC outfits started ordering their usual ammo resupply. So if they are still ordering ammo for themselves, what is DHS doing with all the ammo they were buying for them?

Think about it. There may be something to be paranoid over.

I'm staying in the middle of the road on this one.

Yes, I have a few substantial misgivings about this latest major order from DHS. Less so for NOAA and Social Security. IIRC, DHS previously ordered a rather large quantity earlier this year that was explained away as practice and perhaps organization-operational supply.

IMHO, this second batch can't use the same argument. Too soon and too easy to spew out the same explanation.

In my wandering around the net and checking with friends and associates, I have not run into significant or otherwise important shortages of the Warsaw Pact calibers...7.62x54r and 7.62x39. With some of the newer fodder, YMMV, of course. Romanian steel case and almost anything Yugo are quite satisfactory and a good purchase if you use them and can afford them. Czech Republic silver tip in the hospital-like bluish green box is very good as well. Of course, native Russian fodder is still kicking around.

All depends on what you need or want as well as the current climate in D.C., and I don't mean the weather.

So they are going to war with us with handguns. Good luck with that.
    It's just a matter of time now.

Quote Originally Posted by john green View Post
    So they are going to war with us with handguns. Good luck with that.
    I would be thinking SMGs
    Why SMGs?
    Maybe GE is building them in China
    Maybe .guv is not actually buying pistol ammo at all but transfering the funds into other deals
    Maybe this is a smoke screen
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Wonder what this will do to price and availability for us folks later..
    Chains of habit are too light to be felt, until they are too heavy to be broken

Nothing happens unexpectedly, everything has an indication, we just have to observe the connections." Also... the more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!

The total numbers I've read all over we're somewhere in the neighborhood of DHS making two large purchases this year of roughly 440,000,000 and then 730,000,000 of various caliber, that's well over a billion with a B. Then you has the NOAA purchase some I think 180,000 HP 357 sig, and now the SSA purchase of 140,000 of the same. My thoughts on this is you see people ask all the time, how long do you think we have, well I at least say we have enough time to make a billion rounds!
    Above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins." 1st Peter 4:8

Love is not a victory march, its a cold and broken Hallelujah......

Quote Originally Posted by hambone View Post
    Wonder what this will do to price and availability for us folks later..
    Will there be any production capacity remaining to stock and sustain a consumer retail market?

If the Fedgov attempts to buy out ALL of the manufacturing capacity, your choices will be:

1) Empty shelves.
    2) Switch to a foreign surplus caliber with actual product available.
    3) Start reloading although this would also be subject to the availability of components AND the reloadable status of the brass you have in stock.