Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about buying Chicken from the store

I periodically buy 10# bags of quarters for $6.90 a bag which to me is a whole lot cheaper than those breasts in the stores. When I get them home, I bake the all at once with various sauces then vacpack and freeze for quick meals later in the month.

Yup, I like the quarters, too. The are nice to bake in the oven, make good soup or chicken and rice, and go good canned hot-pak method with the meat stripped off the bone.. Lotsa meat on those big thighs with the sale quarters and .69/lb is dead cheap.

Our local grocer has leg qtrs .59/# so I am stocking up. It hasn't killed me yet!

Sherry in GA

When our 5 children and their friends were home, we bought chicken from our friend who was a butcher. He would call me when it was about ready and ask me how many pounds I wanted. I always said, "as much as you will sell me". He was wonderful and generally I would get a wooden crate filled. I miss that man so much. He was wonderful to everyone. He made the best grey corned beef I have ever had in my lifetime. Those were great days in that small town where everyone knew and cared about each other.

Hi Sherry I don't think it is going to kill us at all. I am just picky. If I knew the conditions of the "other plants", I probably wouldn't want them either.

I have raised my own before and I know it is silly but I still have a problem with killing them myself. I HATE it! I don't mind skinning them and putting them in the freezer just hate the killing part of it. That is why I stock up when I find them on sale:)

Sherry in GA

If I think about what is on my plate other than fruit or veggies, I put my plate back on the kitchen counter. Dr. tells me I am anemic and I HAVE to eat more protein. So, I eat meat by the tablespoon full and call it done.

Hubby once took me to a very fancy resteraunt (sp?) when we were fairly young, and I ordered trout. Well, out it came being served by a very well dress waiter, he placed it on the table in front of me and of course, the head was still on with one eye looking up at me. I couldn't help it but I asked him to take it back and take the head off. I thought my hubby was going to croak laughing.

One thing I have noticed though, my dogs refuse to eat raw, store bought chicken. I was hoping to try to convert to a raw meat diet using chicken but they won't have it.

Sherry in GA

Sherrynboo- will they eat raw "home grown" chicken? I ask, because it can be just plain difficult to get dogs who weren't raised on raw meaty bones to start, and chicken seems to be the least favorite for them. I give all my pups raw meat from weaning, so they are used to it, even if I have to feed kibble some of the time.

But, it wouldn't surprise me about the "store bought", either. I had a local woman who "met" me online, and started buying my chicken for her dogs. She was feeding commercial chicken, and they ate it fine. But... she called me one day shortly after taking the first batch of my chicken home... she was laughing so hard, she could hardly talk. She gave her dog a chicken leg quarter. They usually just started eating it whereever she fed them. This one, she nosed over carefully, then picked up and went behind the couch, to eat in "private". The only thing she could think of was that the dog wasn't taking any chances at anyone stealing her 'special" food!

Summerthyme

I haven't tried the home grown chicken. They do love a good deer leg when they can find one.

Sherry in GA