Thread: Transmission About To Go?

Default Transmission About To Go?

I've got a 95 Prizm with 120,000 miles on it. The engine is in good shape but I've noticed a whine that I think is the transmission. It's not very loud and if you didn't know the car and were a passenger you might think it was the tires singing.

I don't use this car for any out of town trips, it's just an around town car and it gets pretty good gas mileage.

Do you guys think that a transmission additive might prolong the life? I don't know if I should get the transmission worked on or just get rid of the car. The taxes and insurance on it are so cheap but still I don't want to sink a lot of money into it. I did have the transmission fluid changed once at 75,000 miles and it still looks good not burned. TIA
    For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: Walk as children of light.

Maybe take another listen. It could be the serpentine belt, possibly the power steering pump whining? Are you sure it's coming from the tranny? 120,000 mi. isn't really all that high-mileage anymore.
    Support Your Local Militia.

Have a good mechanic give it a listen. A transaxle can have a whine and last a long time.

An engine speed whine can input/torque convertor/pump

A whine that is particular to the gear that the trans is in can be the planetary gear set.

A whine that correlates to road speed regardless of which gear is likely the final drive gear set. The noise will change pitch between acceleration, cruise and coast down.

If it’s just final drive whine it can live a long time and is a result of normal gear wear. If it's a pump or planetary whine it could live a long time or be in the process of failing.

I assume that since you said the fluid looked good, that it is on the full mark. One thing I would wonder, is a Prism transmission anything like a Honda's? Honda used to use (and may still do) use nylon transmission gears and they would give that distinctive "Honda" whine when running through the gears. As it wears, the plastic gears would make more noise.
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    www.patriotguard.org

It's a Chevrolet version of a Toyota Corolla. I guess I'll take it to a few shops and I'll let ya'll know what they say. I must tell you, that is the part that scares me to death. Thank you all.
    For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: Walk as children of light.